Law School Discussion

How important are internships during the application process?

Re: How important are internships during the application process?
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 02:24:19 AM »
Thanks for the responses so far guys, so what type of things should I pursue to help me stand out even a little bit compared to other law school apps?

GPA and LSAT are definitely the most important.

That said, I agree with finding an extracurricular that you can write a good personal statement about.  Have fun!  Do something random and interesting.  Do some community service.  "Broaden your horizons" or whatever.  The vast majority of the people I've met who apply to law school are super boring, and your career path is basically set once you enter your first year.  Don't you want to have some good life experiences before then?

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »
Right well, like I said I would be studying abroad next year, so hopefully a lot of new experiences, and stuff to write in my personal statement, I am interesting in studying international law, so it would definitely have some bearing.

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 08:14:43 PM »
Right well, like I said I would be studying abroad next year, so hopefully a lot of new experiences, and stuff to write in my personal statement, I am interesting in studying international law, so it would definitely have some bearing.

Of course you are.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 12:14:42 AM »
I am in the middle of an app cycle, and I have to echo what others have said.  Get the best LSAT score you can.  I was an intern at the White House and I don't think that it has been that big of an advantage.  I think that stuff like internships act like tie-breakers between groups of applicants with similar numbers. 

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »
LSAT.

GPA.

You coming off as a colorful person.

That's it.

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 12:11:36 PM »
Also, do not expect your study abroad to yield as much opportunity as you hope that it will. Besides the fact that your numbers hold the greatest weight, unless you come out with a truly awe inspiring story of your courageous service to the poorest village in the developing world, "travel journal" personal statements don't tend to impress. Particularly if your study abroad is in Western Europe, as these trips are a dime a dozen on applications...

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 07:39:11 PM »
So what would be a good way to stand out? Bear in mind I don't have many connections in America, I'm a first generation citizen, and everything I do, including intensive volunteer work, is probably pretty unoriginal.

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 08:09:04 AM »
I think that you're thinking too much into this. In the ways that you're trying to stand out, you'll likely just end up par for the course. But you just said that you're a first generation citizen. Surely that's yielded something in the way of a unique worldview that could set you apart from the crowd, much more than a common extracurricular could.