Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I need to take the BarBri class, or are the study materials enough?  (Read 20812 times)

Professorlaw

• View Profile
I've taken the Bar in Georgia and Colorado.

I took Barbri in Georgia and passed.
I did not take Barbri in Colorado and passed. (I didn't remember anything and I had to take the multistate again!)

For the essay portion of the BAR EXAM, you only need to memorize the class notes from BarBri. That's all I did in Colorado. For the Multistate multiple choice, all you need to study are the BarBri class notes and the Conviser mini-review. For the MPT, you need practice tests to work on.

You definitely can get by with the materials. BUT you HAVE to have the class notes.
www.barexamwriting.com
Personal Tutoring for Legal Writing on the Bar Exam

Sir Daniel Plum

• View Profile
    • Email

I did not take Barbri in Colorado and passed. (I didn't remember anything and I had to take the multistate again!)

For the essay portion of the BAR EXAM, you only need to memorize the class notes from BarBri. That's all I did in Colorado. For the Multistate multiple choice, all you need to study are the BarBri class notes and the Conviser mini-review. For the MPT, you need practice tests to work on.

You definitely can get by with the materials. BUT you HAVE to have the class notes.

I'm not sure about terminology here.

When people say "Barbri class notes" are you referring to the Barbri in class workbook with the fill in the blanks?  Or, just notes generally.
Fordham - Who knew living in NYC would be this expensive???

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

I'm not sure about terminology here.

When people say "Barbri class notes" are you referring to the Barbri in class workbook with the fill in the blanks?  Or, just notes generally.

People mean the fill-in-the-blank workbook.

Professorlaw

• View Profile
Yes, I mean the fill-in-the blank workbook as Class notes. You need to outline that and know it cold for essays.
www.barexamwriting.com
Personal Tutoring for Legal Writing on the Bar Exam

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Know it cold?  I say you have to know it well enough so that when it comes up in a question you can recall it and at least say something that sounds like it.  You only have to pass the bar.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Know it cold?  I say you have to know it well enough so that when it comes up in a question you can recall it and at least say something that sounds like it.  You only have to pass the bar.

This is where I'm having trouble, I know the rules, I can spot them in questions I can get them right in MBE's but for the life of me I can't rember the rule statments word for word. I hit a freaking wall I mean I know everything there is to know about defimation but if you ask me to write out the rule it don't come out right.  >:(
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
You don't need to know it word for word.  It's most important to remember any buzz words, because often, graders will skim and look for the important legal terms and buzz words.  So if you can formulate the rule so that the proper elements are there and the general rule is correct, then the fact that you didn't recite bar/bri's version verbatim isn't a problem.

And in fact, you can get the rule WRONG and still get points.  The bar examiners do want you to know the law, and you won't get as mnay points if you get it wrong.  But they also want you to be able to use logic and legal reasoning, so if you make something up that seems right, and you apply your made up rule in a way that makes sense and come up with at least a plausible answer, you'll get some credit for it (at least in most states).

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
  Another important facet of the lectures is that many professors discuss a bar-specific "approach," which differs from the law school exam approach.  You won't get that out of the outline.  To me it makes no sense to grind your way all the way through law school only to shortcut the most important test you'll ever take. Bar Bri doesn't get that $3k just 'cause it has the best outlines... 

I think it gets that $3k because most law students have an aversion to risk that drives them to fork over the money just for the peace of mind. I've heard a few of the lectures that someone had on tape (which according to my lecture note book shouldn't have been allowed), and personally I thought it just slowed me down compared to how fast I could just read and memorize.

As to the "bar specific approach" and mentality needed for the exam, this is covered in other books which I bought, specifically the Strategies and Tactics for MBE, which I bought for $30, and also the first section of my Barbri workbook had quite a few pages detailing how to answer the Ohio Essay questions. Basically, I don't think the added value of the lectures is worth $2700 more than what I paid for the study materials. But for those who are scared to take the risk, I understand the need to want to cross every T and dot every I.

reedlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do I need to take the BarBri class, or are the study materials enough?
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 02:05:42 PM »
There is no reason to pay $3000 to sit in a room and watch a DVD.  There are other options out there.  www.ReedLawGroup.com offers a Complete Online Bar review for only $995.00.  The material is up to date (not an old version like buying used books) it includes, audios, handouts, outlines, digital flashcards, practice questions, exams etc.  CHECK IT OUT!

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need to take the BarBri class, or are the study materials enough?
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 01:52:37 PM »
i got the barbri materials from 2008 and self-studied, and passed. i'm not very diligent or self-motivated - studied maybe 3 hours a day on average - but i am smart. and i took the massachusetts exam - 90% pass rate for 1st time takers in july.
case '09