Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Federal District v. State Supreme CT 1L Summer  (Read 1312 times)

premieraw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Federal District v. State Supreme CT 1L Summer
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:40:56 PM »
In the last week i interviewed for 2 federal district court (1L summer) internships and one state supreme court internship. If my intuition serves me right i think i think i've got a pretty good chance at being offered an opportunity with either, and am wondering what looks better to firms during 2L hiring? Some people seem to suggest that federal court internships are prestigous whereas anything state court related is basically not b/c anyone could land one...Any thoughts?
1L...wait, really?

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Federal District v. State Supreme CT 1L Summer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:08:27 PM »
... and if they are in different states, which one do you want to practice in?

premieraw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:33:42 PM »
In the last week i interviewed for 2 federal district court (1L summer) internships and one state supreme court internship. If my intuition serves me right i think i think i've got a pretty good chance at being offered an opportunity with either, and am wondering what looks better to firms during 2L hiring? Some people seem to suggest that federal court internships are prestigous whereas anything state court related is basically not b/c anyone could land one...Any thoughts?

what state?

Michigan, my focus (and possible opportunity) is exclusively in Michigan.. So i'm getting the feeling that it only really matters with regard to state circuit or trial courts, then? For some reason I had the feeling that federal court internships were more competitive and therefore a better look on the resume, is there any truth to this?
1L...wait, really?

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:37:55 PM »
It depends.  I would go with the federal internship if I were interested in clerking later. 

==cal==

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:48:03 AM »

what state?

Michigan, my focus (and possible opportunity) is exclusively in Michigan.. So i'm getting the feeling that it only really matters with regard to state circuit or trial courts, then? For some reason I had the feeling that federal court internships were more competitive and therefore a better look on the resume, is there any truth to this?

I'd say a MI state internship would be less helpful than a federal internship anywhere outside of MI. In MI, I have no idea about the job market. Also, the personality of the judge can make a huge difference. Some give all their work to the clerk - some interact directly with the interns. The individual judge may impact this decision more than just the jurisdiction of his court. Good luck.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »

The federal court is considered more prestigious, yes.  But honestly I would go with the judge you like the best, should you be so lucky to get an offer with all of the judges.  If you're truly only thinking about 2L hiring, alternatively you should choose the judge with the best law firm connections (look at their resumes).  For example, if the judge was a partner at Firm X, and you want to work there, then that would be a factored I'd consider.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

premieraw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 11:49:07 AM »
bump
1L...wait, really?