Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mentioning current students in why statements?  (Read 969 times)

Schuggles

• View Profile
Mentioning current students in why statements?
« on: January 11, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »
I was wondering if it might be a bad move to mention the experiences of my friends who are students at two of the law schools that I am writing why statements for?  Or mention my friends by name?

On one  hand, it might provide support for the attestations about why I want to attend school x--because I've heard it from someone who knows.  On the other hand, I'm afraid it might make me sound pretentious or like I'm name-dropping, which is not my intention whatsoever.

Anyone been in a similar situation or have any insights?
Help?
Schugglin'

modum03

• View Profile
Re: Mentioning current students in why statements?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »
Agreed with above. Don't mention specific names, however, dependent upon the voice of your PS it could be helpful in your reasoning as to why your interested in a specific school. More than a few law school applications ask for names of current students or alumni you know.
Cheers.

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 02:39:12 PM »
There is no need to mention current students.  However, you should definitely talk to current students to get a feel for whether the school is a good fit for you.  And, you can mention the names of current professors or alumni, if they have done work that you are interested in and that that is part of a reason why you want to attend the school.

Good luck!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 05:42:31 PM »
If you wanted to mention current students in the sense that they motivated you to want to study at that school, i.e. "I went to visit a friend at your school and was enraptured, after further research..." yada yada yada.

Agreed about the names though, don't mention names that have no pull, it just looks like you are talking about someone else; they really only care about you.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 12:49:28 AM »
Agreed about the names though, don't mention names that have no pull, it just looks like you are talking about someone else; they really only care about you.

Checkmate. This is good advice. Be oblique if you're citing what friends have told you about the school.

ahh, hipcathobbes, the soul of eloquence :)
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.