Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wake opinions  (Read 236 times)

Celestial Vertigo

Wake opinions
« on: August 18, 2005, 01:33:01 AM »
I'm looking at Wake and am curious about the surrounding environment, student body personality, and anything else that I can't learn from doing research on the university website. :) Also, it seemed that the school did not have many clinical opportunities/specialty programs. Is this true? What about study abroad? Thanks I apprciate it.  :-*

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wake opinions
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 01:42:41 AM »
I've lived about 30 mins from Winston Salem for most of my life so I'm pretty familiar with Wake.

Based on what I've heard, the students are competitive but very collegial.  The school itself is known to be pretty rigorous as far as academics.  I think the undergrads refer to it as "Work Forest."  I've also heard nothing but positive things about the professors.

As far as job opportunities go, you should be willing to stay in NC or at least in the mid Atlantic region.  Like most mid ranked T1 schools, Wake is fairly prestigious in a small area but once you get out of the area you are likely to encounter less familiarity with the school.  So if you do not want to work in NC, SC, VA, GA, TN, at least initially, I would say Wake might not be the best choice. But if you do it would probably be a great choice since Wake really only competes with UNC for the some of the best legal opportunities in the state.  Almost all Duke grads leave once they graduate.

The cost, as you may know, is slightly cheaper than some private schools.  I think tuition is around 25K per year.  Cost of living in Winston is really cheap so you can save some money there.  One of my friends is in grad school at Wake and he got a house with 3 other guys for like 800 per month.

Winston itself isn't a very flashy town.  There are some things to do, a few bars downtown but nothing major.  The city was built around R.J. Reynolds Tobacco and is basically a big industrial city.  It's a good family atmosphere but not exactly for the party type, if you know what I mean.

As far as clinics, I'm not sure.  I always thought that Wake's Elder Clinic was pretty highly regarded but I could be wrong.  You may have to talk to their career services office about that. 

Hope this helps a little, sorry I can't give more details.