Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2 Part Question about tying my statement together.  (Read 658 times)

hman13

• View Profile
2 Part Question about tying my statement together.
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:44:50 PM »
I have written my personal statement about my experience teaching at a high school that had only special education and special needs children.  I say I want to go to law school so that I can protect their rights and make sure they receive the proper education that many are denying them.  I say it is up to the government and the lawyers to see to it because in my experience the teachers could care less.

How would I then say, that is why XXXXXXXX is a great fit for me?  What Im asking is, how should I incorporate the school specific part of the personal statement into my ps.  For example, I noticed Pitt has a Disability Law certificate I can obtain, and that I will mention.  Many other schools I am looking at though make no mention of education law or school law or anything similar to what I am writing about.  I think it is a good personal statement and dont want to write about anything else, but also dont want to send something that isnt pertinent.

The second question I have is, schools do not hold these personal statements as contract correct?  If for whatever reason 1-2 years down the road i take a class in some other form of the law and am excited about it, and want to pursue that aspect of the law, there will be no questions asked correct?

Thanks guys.

• View Profile
Re: 2 Part Question about tying my statement together.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:03:37 AM »
I don't think you have to do a why xxxx for each school.  It would tie it all together, but you don't want it to sound forced.  It works well for the Pitt one, but if you can't find a similar thing to write for each school, I'd just skip it.  If you have a solid essay, there will be nothing missing by excluding a why xxxx.  To answer your second question, no these are not contractual.  You can write about your intentions and interests now, and it's perfectly fine if you end up taking a different path.

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »
You should definitely feel free to talk about how you want to attend a particular school because it offers specialized classes or programs or clubs (or is well known for) in your particular area of interest at the end of your personal statement, to the extent that it flows with the rest of the personal statement.  That demonstrates to the school that you have done your research are have a particular commitment to their school.  You might also find it relevant to research whether there are any professors or alumni who are well known for their work in that area.

And as for any contractual obligations, just as the other commentator noted, you have none.  You can feel free to change your intentions/plans to study whatever you want as you see fit.  You just want to make sure this school is a place where you will feel comfortable for three years, whatever you choose to study.

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law

pdxphd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 02:42:07 PM »
If there are no specialized classes at the school you're applying to, you could still say something like "A first-rate education at XXXXX School of Law will prepare me for the challenges I will face and allow me to fulfill my goal of becoming  an education lawyer."