Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Crazy to Choose G'town over NYU?  (Read 2624 times)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy to Choose G'town over NYU?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 04:25:36 PM »
The difference between a 100K and a 160K job is not worth being miserable at your school, at least for me

But that's not the difference being contemplated. The difference is between a 80% and a 50-60% chance of making 160k. It's certainly not a death sentence to go to GULC, but your biglaw odds are better out of NYU.

Wow. PM Details? This is intriguing.

PS - First Austin Law Firm I found- Vinson & Elkins -- first 10 associates in alphabetical order:

PM sent

BTW: V&E is a V50 firm and in a tight race with BakerBotts for most prestigious in Texas (save for the ultra-selective Sussman Godfrey which doesn't take people fresh out of law school)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

JayCLS

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 05:27:36 PM »
Nealric is right, in my opinion. 

If you are going to work at a firm, the debt will get paid off...especially if you work at a firm in Texas or a midmarket compared to NYC. Think of it this way, law school students that have debt work in NYC all the time right? They pay a 10% city income tax and state income taxes on top of that. In Texas there are no income taxes. So right there you save around 20-30K a year working in Texas at the same salary and you pay down the same amount of debt as the people working in NY (not to mention the differences in cost of living). It's more than doable.

Next - You can get a job in a midmarket/Texas from anywhere. Sure they hire a lot of regional kids who end up towards the top of their class, but I have plenty of friends who are getting jobs in Texas and DC from Columbia.

Also if you don't want to work at a firm, the top law schools offer much better LRAP programs (loan forgiveness) than the lower tier schools (many of which have no loan forgiveness). 

I don't think it's nuts to go to UT if you want to work in Texas. I don't think it is nuts to go to Georgetown over NYU...but why limit yourself?  Law school is only three years and you spend your summers elsewhere.  The differences in lifestyle between these places isn't so great to make shutting doors later down the line worth it, but that is my opinion...everyone has to go their own way.

tyutchev

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 12:24:40 AM »
I actually spoke with some GULC grads recently about this. Their experience was that for the top 1/3 of the class, GULC had placement comparable to NYU, etc. Because of the large class size, there are FAR less options for people not in the top of the class, so keep that in mind. The very top folks seem to be positioned as well as the top students from other non-HYS programs, regardless of market. For the rest (so top 1/3 but not top 5%) there is probably a bit of a disadvantage compared with NYU, especially for the NYC market. I imagine for other markets (like Texas) there would not be a discernible difference for students of comparable class rank.

So basically: be one of the best at GULC and you are going to have the same options as the best from NYU. But if you're gonna be in the middle of your class, you're WAY better off being in the middle at NYU than Georgetown.

That said, Georgetown's a great school. And for certain fields and many clinical areas, it is hands down better than NYU.

Live Free or Die

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 09:33:35 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but would everything discussed here hold for choosing between Michigan and Georgetown as well? That's the choice I'm caught between right now. For personal reasons, I'd really like to be in the DC area, but I get the feeling that career prospects would be much better coming from Michigan. Michigan has also really taken the extra step in personalizing the admissions process.