Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which of the following has the biggest impact on 1L grades?

Intelligence
 28 (29.2%)
Hard Work
 35 (36.5%)
Memory
 4 (4.2%)
Typing Speed
 10 (10.4%)
Luck
 19 (19.8%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: What has the biggest impact on 1L grades?  (Read 9959 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What has the biggest impact on 1L grades?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 10:08:43 AM »
How is it uncalled for?  The OP got medianpwnd in his first semester, and he solicited our help.  I may not have grades yet, but I don't think my response was crap.

Here is my sincere advice to the OP: read and write as many practice exams as you can.  Law school generally tests your ability to write a good exam, and that's it.  You admitted it.  Too many students at my school read the casebook and try to learn the material, but never develop exam-writing ability.

This isn't about luck.  This is a cliched argument, but, if it was about luck, there wouldn't be students with straight As. 

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 10:14:04 AM »
I didn't intend to be mean.  Sorry, OP.  I don't really feel like going back and editing selectively, but, bro, don't take my intensity too seriously.  I get really really intense when I'm talking about law school.  That's probably why many of my classmates dislike me.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 10:16:22 AM »
The safe deposit box issue may have been a bad example, but it was just an example.  Freely:  However you think law school works is not really that important to me.   My exams were probably different than your 1L exams.    
I understand that there are some people that just "get it"  but that doesn't mean they are generally smarter than the rest of the class.  Law school is a game, and some people are naturally more gifted at winning the game.  
I don't think luck has the biggest impact on law school grades but it has an impact.  Sometimes a few points here and there make up the difference between a B and an A.  The ability to analyze any topic can save your ass, but add the correct preparation and it will have an impact.  

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 10:19:31 AM »
Did you read anything I wrote.  NO, THEY'RE NOT.  You're missing the entire point that people are trying to get across if you think that.

If I were you, I would have an older student on LR look at your exams.

There's no such thing as luck.  The best students are great analytically and work hard.  That's it.  I know two of the 2Ls with high-ass mutherfucking grades at my school.  They could analyze issues in their sleep, and they develop good outlines and substantive mastery of the BLL.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 10:20:06 AM »
Oh, and Freely: I did really well on my property exam and I nailed the safe deposit box question.  Your analysis of my post was crappy--I never said that I struggled with that question.  

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 10:20:33 AM »
One other thing...are professors usually strict about the format of essays?  Our professors so far have kept things VERY loose (IMO).  They left things very open ended, allowing one a myriad of ways to convey their answers.  So "writing ability" would only be important in being able to get one's ideas across and not in a very specific manner.  The most important "writing ability" I have identified so far is the ability to get to the point clearly and in a hurry.  Elegantly, perhaps, would be a better word.  

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 10:22:17 AM »
Chill out.   I was trying to help you.  There's no need to turn this into a pissing contest.

Good luck to you on next semester.  Was there any particularly advice by me or any of the other posters (Stole Your Nose! is generally dead-on)?  Great, use it.

I'll stop posting now.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 10:25:05 AM »
It was just a poll.  In my opinion, there is such a thing as luck.  I wasn't really looking for advice.  I just want to know the opinions of posters on here. 

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »
Yeah, I want to be a professor.  We have one professor at my school who can recite random dicta and holdings from memory.  I could ask him for the reasoning in some SCOTUS case and he would be like, "But there's this random dicta in (insert totally obscure case) that contradicts it."  It's amazing and inspirational.

I think Stole Your Nose!'s response is, as usual, credited, but beware that she obviously has a lot of confidence and aptitude; she figured out what works for her.  Figuring out what works for you is crucial.  I know a 2L who writes out holdings on a whiteboard, which helps him understand the material.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 10:50:51 AM »
My .02:

1. Wally telling someone to chill out is laughable. Honestly Wally, I usually hold my tongue because I have been told by family/SO that I can get too "intense" about law school (mainly just around exams)... but you have been especially insufferable on this board lately. If its affecting your IRL relationships with classmates, I do think it's something you should work on.

2. I DO think their is what some might call a "luck" component to exams. I haven't got my exams back... but my Ks exam did not test the topics I was expecting or the best at. I usually don't describe this as "bad luck", though I can see how some might... I simply say that I didn't accurately predict what my professor felt was important.

3. I think taking oodles of practice exams was invaluable to me, both for the confidence level and because it taught me how to take a fact pattern and turn it into an organized legal analysis.

Caveat to this post... I'm drugged up on Dayquil and in Legal Writing. So, that might have an impact on my tone and my credibility regarding grades.  ;)
Vandy 1L... really?