Law School Discussion

Poll

Which of the following has the biggest impact on 1L grades?

Intelligence
28 (29.2%)
Hard Work
35 (36.5%)
Memory
4 (4.2%)
Typing Speed
10 (10.4%)
Luck
19 (19.8%)

Total Members Voted: 96

What has the biggest impact on 1L grades?

Re: What has the biggest impact on 1L grades?
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 09:18:51 AM »
Also, you need to ask for your money back on your English degree if you were taught to argue only one side. 

As far as English goes, you don't argue "both sides" when you write a paper. When you're arguing how Chaucer uses a meta narrative technique originating in Silver Age Latin Literature transmitted through Boccaccio's Decameron, you investigate and explore your very fine point exclusively. You write a 20 page paper "making a case" for your ideas; you don't spend 4 pages considering other arguments. Haven't you ever read a thesis? You don't mumble through every option like a law school exam... English work is more like a laser beam.

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 09:24:58 AM »
On a torts exam you literally spew out fragmented sentences stating - a)The tort and b)how the facts make it that tort.

It's pages and pages of who can type fastest....

To say intelligence is necessary to do that is ridiculous.

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 09:31:23 AM »
We both took English classes, but did you actually do a degree in Literature? That's where they train you to do this crap, and it's horrible for law school.

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 09:39:31 AM »
Bad arguments? Pick up any thesis from Harvard down ... it's the same thing. They teach you this stuff in courses only English majors can take, so chances are you were never exposed to it.

As in, with law school the point is "getting to maybe". With English you argue new points and say: this is the way it actually is. Then others try and debunk you.

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2009, 09:44:43 AM »
lol @ this thread

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2009, 09:54:34 AM »
lol @ this thread

seriously.  the correct answer is obviously what you ate two days before the LSAT.

I'm so glad I ate that salmon

M_Cool

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2009, 09:55:46 AM »
Personally I liked writing English papers a lot more than law exams!  It was so easy to make a nice, clear paper based on a defined thesis.

On a law exam everything gets so muddy and lame..  I just don't get the same satisfaction when I finish my exam answer as I did when finishing a literature essay.  

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2009, 09:56:43 AM »
They teach you this stuff in courses only English majors can take,
Not every school has magically classes that only English majors can take.  Also, I was an English major until senior year.

In your thesis did you consider the 80,000 other arguments posited about the idea you were handling? Because that would've made for an interesting paper.

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »
There are the "other potentials" in law school exams that you're supposed to consider, but for English lit. nothing is really -known- so to speak, so there are an infinite number of "potential other sides" for you to argue, which is why you're not supposed to bother. It's an interpretive art that you're supposed to argue in a very clear, very simple, very singular fashion, and is the exact opposite of what you do for law school.

Word from another English major:

Personally I liked writing English papers a lot more than law exams!  It was so easy to make a nice, clear paper based on a defined thesis.

On a law exam everything gets so muddy and lame..  I just don't get the same satisfaction when I finish my exam answer as I did when finishing a literature essay. 

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2009, 10:19:10 AM »
In my opinion (as a 1L who has not yet received his grades), succeeding on law school exams is mostly about anticipating what the highest authority wants to hear and making sure to give it to that authority quickly, efficiently and in a way that is pleasing to the authority.  In that way, succeeding in law is very much like practicing law... that's essentially what you have to do in order to argue your client's case.

I voted for "intelligence," but I would like to qualify my answer.  Intelligence is generally and colloquially understood to refer to a lot of different aspects of brain activity.  It seems to me that law requires a bit of creativity, buckets of empathy (to be used to figure out what the authority wants), buckets of memory and retention, buckets of concentration and focus and buckets of quick-and-accurate response.

In contrast, there are many other activities (research science, mathematics, philosophical reasoning, etc.) that require far more from the creative part.