Law School Discussion

Chicago Status Change

Re: Chicago Status Change
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 12:12:17 PM »
Any more calls today or are they done w/ this batch?

tcwhat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 07:29:04 AM »
For what it's worth, my status was updated first on Jan. 8 indicating a decision pending and it was updated again yesterday indicating that a decision has been mailed.

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 02:58:40 PM »
Sorry to say but the consensus has been that if a decision is mailed, it's a rejection.  :-[

tcwhat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 04:10:42 PM »
Sorry to say but the consensus has been that if a decision is mailed, it's a rejection.  :-[

I already chalked that one up once I saw decision pending.

sheltron5000

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 02:53:19 PM »
decision mailed...  :'(

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 02:56:55 PM »
decision mailed...  :'(

I responded in the other thread too, but there are some people on TLS with good numbers who went to decision mailed today, including one guy who got into HLS early. I don't want to get your hopes up, but it might not be a rejection.

sheltron5000

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 12:31:29 PM »
So the decision was... NOT TO MAKE A DECISION. I mean really who's idea was that?

Chicago has invented a category somewhere between Under Review and Waitlist, they call it the "Hold" category. Basically they put me into a later 2nd review.

They suggest an additional LOR, updated transcript (hello, not in school, if you make me wait for a letter you can at least personalize it a little), or one of three essay options.

Basically I just find this whole charade unprofessional in the extreme. If you tell someone, "hold on, we're making a decision... it's in the mail..." it should BE a decision. This whole, "we screwed up and asked for too little information in our application, so you can go ahead and send us more if you want" is what email is designed for. Don't make me wait for five days stressing out about getting rejected from my number one, just to hear "we dunno"

Unprofessional, and poorly handled.

Now excuse me, I have to go do some reading for my essay on the regulation of internet transactions.

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »
I just received the same letter...not 100% sure if I will write the essay - I think I might just like Northwestern better. (=

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 04:30:45 PM »
i applied to this in the other thread, but seriously sheltron, i hope you'll submit the extra stuff. it's yield protection and lots of schools do it...i think the fact they did it so early shows that they want to give you time to show that you want to come here before the class fills. yeah, it's obnoxious, but plenty of schools do it and it's a pretty small price to pay if you really want to come here.

anyway, take a few days to consider it, but i hope you won't hold it against the school itself.

sheltron5000

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 04:46:40 PM »
I'm not going to hold it against the school, admissions is not academics and I applied for the academics not for the admissions (if you can follow that add two points to your LSAT ;) )

I am already working on my optional essay, and I'm trying to think of someone I can ask to write a LOR, I just got frustrated. I just really want the application period to be over so I can finalize my choice and start planing for the fall. I'm a forward thinking/planner kind of person and not being able to plan (plane tickets/hotel to visit, looking for apartments, etc.) the next big step forward is making me a little nuts... ;)

Thanks for the support  :D