Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad first semester grades, mediocre school ... now what?  (Read 4446 times)

mzing12

• View Profile
Bad first semester grades, mediocre school ... now what?
« on: January 07, 2009, 07:48:46 PM »
I want to do public interest, but I got a B- (5 credits), a B (4 credits), a B+ (2 credits, though), and one class TBD (3 credits). I go to one of the Tier 2s in NYC. Should I just drop out now or what? I'm way below 50% here (2.98 compared to 3.1 for 50%). This is terrible.

Is it possible to get a good public interest summer internship with grades like that? It's amazing how much a first semester can determine an entire career path.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
Re: Bad first semester grades, mediocre school ... now what?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 08:06:55 PM »
I want to do public interest, but I got a B- (5 credits), a B (4 credits), a B+ (2 credits, though), and one class TBD (3 credits). I go to one of the Tier 2s in NYC. Should I just drop out now or what? I'm way below 50% here (2.98 compared to 3.1 for 50%). This is terrible.

Is it possible to get a good public interest summer internship with grades like that? It's amazing how much a first semester can determine an entire career path.

I don't think it's that terrible. Does your school have externships? That might be an option. Also, I'd try networking more...ABA events, etc. some personality can offset 'okay' grades.

mzing12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:06:07 PM »
Will his advice be "drop out" ala Wiimote?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:15:31 AM »

I think we go to the same school. :)  I got a B- in my five-credit class first semester, and I have survived with scholarships, etc.  You can pull yourself out of this.  On the academic tip, first try to understand what kinds of things went wrong on the exams and work backwards from there.

You can definitely get a good public interest summer internship with these grades.  A lot of PI employers won't even ask for your grades.  Are you signed up for the fair?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 12:26:17 AM »
I'm really sorry to hear that.   :'(

I would listen to Miss P and Matthies.  And I know that it's taboo to say this, but perhaps you might want to think about non-legal futures if you're not satisfied with the non-BigLaw model, because it's likely (I think) that you won't obtain it.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 12:30:58 AM »
I'm really sorry to hear that.   :'(

I would listen to Miss P and Matthies.  And I know that it's taboo to say this, but perhaps you might want to think about non-legal futures if you're not satisfied with the non-BigLaw model, because it's likely (I think) that you won't obtain it.

Did you not see the part where the OP said she wanted to do public interest?  ??? It's only like five posts up, dude.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 12:31:30 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by this?  The OP said s/he wanted to do public interest work.

ETA: Oops, jinx, goals!

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 12:32:13 AM »
"Is it possible . . . ?" doesn't necessarily mean that the OP is PI or bust.  If anything, the way the post is constructed suggests to me that they were merely throwing out a possibility.

Moreover, the comment about the first semester strongly suggests BigLaw, which, indeed, is a closed door once first year grades aren't great.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 12:33:21 AM »
"Is it possible . . . ?" doesn't necessarily mean that the OP is PI or bust.  If anything, the way the post is constructed suggests to me that they were merely throwing out a possibility.

Moreover, the comment about the first semester strongly suggests BigLaw, which, indeed, is a closed door once first year grades aren't great.

I want to do public interest

Your myopia is showing, bro.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 12:35:03 AM »

The post begins,

I want to do public interest, but . . .

And I don't understand your second point.  Public interest students don't have first-semester grades?  We hear that we should off ourselves or at least drop out of law school if we get grades below the curve just like you do, eh?

ETA: Again, goals, you beat me . . .