Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Review Grades  (Read 1776 times)

antvenom13

• View Profile
    • Email
Law Review Grades
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:39:18 PM »
Since our grades are just coming in.......anybody have a general idea of what it takes to get onto law review, i.e. to achieve top 10%? Assuming a 4.0 scale, what is the general GPA range for top 10%? Does getting a B or a B+ or a C+  in one class basically kill your chances?

richardblaine

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Law Review Grades
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »
Depends on your school.  If you have no idea what your curve is, the "law school curves" page on wikipedia is a good place to start.

antvenom13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 04:26:37 PM »
Useful site except for the fact that it has only like 15 schools on it, lol.

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »
There's no way to answer this question without knowing the median at your school--it should be listed somewhere on the law school's website. I know that at my school, which is/was on a 3.3 scale, it took about a 3.7 to make the top 10%, although the exact number swung slightly in either direction depending upon the year.

jwa08

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »
For a school with a mandatory 2.8 curve for first year courses, does anyone have an idea of where my 3.35 1st semster gpa might land me in class rank? I'm trying to figure out if I have any shot at law review.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:08:05 PM »
Some schools require you to write-on law review... priority given to better grades, but the others aren't excluded. Check with older students at your school.

beaverfuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 02:19:30 AM »
For a school with a mandatory 2.8 curve for first year courses, does anyone have an idea of where my 3.35 1st semster gpa might land me in class rank? I'm trying to figure out if I have any shot at law review.

My school has a mandatory curve between 2.7 and 2.9. Historically, the cutoff of Top 20% has been 3.30. The school publishes that number for scholarship retention, and I am not sure about any higher percentiles.

Hope that helps.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 11:46:08 AM »

My school has a 2.8-3.0 mandatory curve and last year a 3.35 would have been ranked 35/160.  I spoke with another university with a 2.7 mandatory curve about a scholarship renewal during my application process last year, and they told me a 3.3 was around the 15% percentile.  I'm sure it varies from year to year, but statistically you are almost guaranteed to end up somewhere between top 35% and the top 10% based on your GPA.   It's pretty much impossible to be more specific since some law school curves end up being pretty flat, and some don't.

rocknroll

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 06:33:35 PM »
sorry for Hi-Jacking the thread, but at a school with a 3.0 median, 2.95-3.05 mean and 8-15 percent required to be below 1.667, approximately where does a 3.57 end up?

Thanks