Law School Discussion

Law Review Editorial Position a Must for Fed Clerkships?

Law Review Editorial Position a Must for Fed Clerkships?
« on: January 06, 2009, 06:51:50 PM »
I'm at a Top 25 school. 

Although I haven't decided for sure whether I'm going to seek a clerkship, I want to leave the option open.  Is mere membership not enough?  Will an editorial position (Non-EIC) really make that much of a difference?

Informed opinions and bull speculation are both welcomed.   

Re: Law Review Editorial Position a Must for Fed Clerkships?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 09:01:43 PM »
Pure speculation - I think that simply being a member of Law Review would be enough, unless you hope to clerk for a particularly prestigious court.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:20:30 PM »
i had two interviews and arent even a law review member.

but then i didnt get the offer either, so wtf do i know

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 09:28:52 PM »

Maybe it's because you use the word "aren't"?

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 09:32:15 PM »

Maybe it's because you use the word "aren't"?

oh should i have spelled out are not?  perhaps am not would have pleased you more?

go @#!* yourself

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 11:44:42 PM »
I aren't is journal convention in the South.

you know something, ive stuck up for you before too, fine, @#!* you as well

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 11:46:34 PM »
My guess is that it's a boost, but not as much a boost as good grades or LR itself.  I'd be curious to hear what other people thought though. 

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 11:57:44 PM »
My guess is that it's a boost, but not as much a boost as good grades or LR itself.  I'd be curious to hear what other people thought though. 

From what I've seen, if you're at a top school, you can do just fine coming from a secondary journal or with some other distinction.  LR without E-board is fine.  At schools like mine, you pretty much have to be on the e-board of a journal, but it can be a secondary journal if your record is otherwise excellent.  (Last year's EIC of one of the secondary journals is clerking on the 2d. Cir. this year.)

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 12:01:51 AM »

From what I've seen, if you're at a top school, you can do just fine coming from a secondary journal or with some other distinction.  LR without E-board is fine.  At schools like mine, you pretty much have to be on the e-board of a journal, but it can be a secondary journal if your record is otherwise excellent.  (Last year's EIC of one of the secondary journals is clerking on the 2d. Cir. this year.)

What if you just love *legal scholarship*??

Are you at YLS?  Then yes.

Also, TY for the sig removal, kid.

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 12:07:59 AM »

What if you just love *legal scholarship*??

Then you would never be so base as to wonder if you'd receive anything in return. Your love is pure!