Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fee Waivers  (Read 386 times)

AgentSCo

• MSN Messenger - sjescobar2@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AgentSCo
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Fee Waivers
« on: January 05, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »
I took the December 2008 LSAT with the intention of applying during the Fall 2009 cycle.  I've already been contacted by several schools, each granting me fee waivers for this cycle.  Right now, I couldn't even apply to these schools if I wanted to, as I haven't even sought out recommenders or started my personal statement.  Would it be safe to assume that these same schools would grant me fee waivers next fall, or should I contact these schools letting them know that I won't be applying to law school this cycle?  I'm interested in applying to a couple of these schools, and any money saved on application fees would be greatly appreciated.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Fee Waivers
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 01:24:27 PM »
Yes. Contact those schools' admissions offices by email, and many more that you are interested in, next fall when you are applying for 2010. Ask for a "merit based" fee waiver and explain your merits:

"Hi I'm AgentSCo and I'm interested in attending your school because its in a region I want to work in and has a good reputation. I would like to know whether you can offer a merit based fee waiver. I have a 3.5 GPA, 165 LSAT, and have been in leadership positions in several organizations. [Furthermore, you sent me a fee waiver offer after I took the LSAT in December 2008].  Thank you for your time."

I successfully received fee waivers from the University of Minnesota and University of Michigan this way. In fact, Michigan was a high-reach for me that I wasn't planning to "waste money" on. They ended up accepting me and I am at Michigan instead of Cornell as a result.
_______
.|E|R|S.