Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CUNY v. North Carolina Central  (Read 3596 times)

rubytigga85

• View Profile
    • Email
CUNY v. North Carolina Central
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:59:11 PM »
I dont know what to do. I need to choose between CUNY law and North Carolina Central. I know they are both not top schools but I dont know which one would be a better choice. HELP!!![/b]

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: CUNY v. North Carolina Central
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 05:47:23 PM »
It might be helpful if you let us know a bit more about who you are, where you are, what interests you, etc.  Some areas to consider might include:

-How important is the cost-of-living differential to you?
-Are you interested in public interest/government work?  (CUNY has a clear advantage in these sectors.)
-Do you have connections in either state?
-Have you visited either school?
-Where else did you apply?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:50:05 PM »
I would decide, in this economy, solely based on employment prospects, average starting salary, vs. costs to you.

The questions I asked (such as connections to the states where the schools are located) are very relevant to the OP's employment prospects.  Moreover, starting salary may be significantly less relevant for someone going into public interest work who will be able to make reduced loan payments and have her loans forgiven after ten years of service.  I don't think this is one you can do on book value.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 08:15:49 PM »
Well, they cost about the same.  About 10% of the class is booted for academic reasons.  NCCU is 87% on 9-month employment and CUNY is 92.4%, but CUNY does a better job tracking down the people for employment surveys, so I'd imagine that NCCU's numbers are actually lower.  (People are less likely to respond if they don't have jobs.)  CUNY sends a much larger chunk of the class to public interest and at both schools the strong majority of people stay in state after graduation. Neither disclose the average starting salary of their grads on the website, but CUNY is much more up front with employment data to students.  Without scholarships, I'd choose almost exclusively based on geography for this one, with an edge to CUNY.

Yep.  But I still think it depends on the OP's interests and connections.

rubytigga85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:30:54 AM »
I live in New York but im thinking about living in North Carolina but not sure yet. I want to do public interest but I also want to have an option if I decide to do something else after graduation. I havent visited any schools yet, im waiting until I get all my answers back. My #1 sschool is howard...if I get in there, thats where im going. My stats are 3.57/145 so im not sure if I will get into howard. I think I have a shot but im not sure. Okay, these are the schools I got in to:

Florida Coastal-definate NO
CUNY-Maybe
NCCU-Maybe
AKRON-Maybe
Thomas Cooley-umm....I dont think so
Univ. of Detroit Mercy-NO

SO...what is my better option?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 10:01:54 PM »
NC Cent., but really, neither.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

tws0386

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:01:24 PM »
DEF CUNY!!!  i went to NCCU for undergrad.. and HATED IT!!  i was accepted at NCCU law and my acceptance letter had grammar errors..!!  it was like that the entire time at NCCU...

johnnyv1117

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:07:35 PM »
CUNY is alot cheaper and will leave you with a much smaller debt load.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 10:06:44 PM »
I can't speak for CUNY, but NCCU does not have a good reputation in the Carolinas at all.  The only grad. of note I know of is the previous governor of NC (Easley), and I believe he's currently the subject of a grand jury investigation.

LadyJustice

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »
I can't speak for CUNY, because I know nothing about it. However, I would not cancel out NCCU. NCCU is a very reputable school. They have a vast array of clinical programs to choose from and quality faculty. Chief Justice Roberts just presided over their moot court competition--I don't think he would have wasted his time, if he didn't think they are a decent school. Do a search and you will find many articles giving high regard to NCCU. Of course, most opportunity will be in NC, when you graduate. They have many outstanding alumni (governor, judges, etc). The students that go there are mainly interested in public interest law. They are also a great value. I've heard Campbell is a good school, as well (also 4T) but much more expensive.

Now, if you can get into Wake Forest, UNC or Duke, I'd go there first, but I think you will get a good legal education at NCCU (and no I don't go there).