Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hawaiian Law Market  (Read 3242 times)

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hawaiian Law Market
« on: January 04, 2009, 09:13:44 PM »
How hard do you think it would be for me to obtain a job in Hawaii with a degree from a mainland T3 school?

Azamat

• View Profile
Re: Hawaiian Law Market
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:17:10 PM »
you might as well ask how hard it is to get Biglaw in NYC from a TTT

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:18:57 AM »
The Hawaiian legal market is very small.  I think without some ties to the area, you're going to have a very hard time convincing someone you really want to work for a firm there, and not just lounge on the beach.

If you move there and take the HI bar exam, then that would show more of a commitment and you'd likely be more successful with a job search at that point.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:57:19 AM »
Not to mention HI is very expensive to live in and market rate for firms there is like 80-90k.  It's really not a good place to go practice law.

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:18:05 PM »
Would an emphasis on Environmental law help?

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:11:08 PM »
Hawaii is extremely environmentally conscious and has many programs to protect its land and waters. Thats why.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 07:21:43 AM »
Hawaii is extremely environmentally conscious and has many programs to protect its land and waters. Thats why.

Showing an interest may help a tiny amount, but as Stole Your Nose said, most people that specialize don't do so in law school.  You don't need to have taken every class in environmental law at school to eventually specialize in the practice.  So if you (with an environmental law tilt to your resume) and someone with the same grades/qualifications but with local ties are competing for a job, that other person may very well beat you out.

So without local/family ties to the area, without being able to demonstrate that you are seriously committed to Hawaii as more than a good beach locale, you may very well have a difficult time.  I'm not saying impossible, but it's going to be difficult (at least until you relocate there and take the HI bar; that shows serious commitment, I think).

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 11:48:14 AM »
What amazes me is noone here finds it absurd that the OP is willing to practice whatever kind of law will land him in HI.  This isn't spring break, this is your career.  No wonder law school is like grade school, it's full of people like the OP.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 12:27:59 PM »
His asking about environmental law seemed to imply that to some extent.

Also, quality of life in HI as a lawyer won't be all that great if you take into consideration the ridiculous cost of living there and the relatively low law firm salaries. "Market" rate in HI is about $80k.

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 03:18:25 PM »
I want to do environmental law. I don't care about money, as long as I can live comfortably and not be behind on bills. I just want to be an attorney and live in Hawaii... sounds like a great life to me.