Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF 3L - Will Answer Questions  (Read 4178 times)

tshiph

• View Profile
Re: UF 3L - Will Answer Questions
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2009, 11:07:27 PM »
I've been accepted already at UF and I'm definitely strongly considering it. My major concern is that after fifteen years I am pretty desperate to get out of Florida, if not for law school than at least after as I begin my career. I understand that if I go to UF my options after graduating (location-wise) may be limited.

My interest is in environmental law and the plan now (though it could certainly change in the next three and a half years) is to work in public interest or for the government. Is there less competition for those kinds of jobs? (Thus making it easier to get out of the region after graduating from a regional school.)

How would you compare UF to FSU for environmental law? FSU is ranked in the US News & World Report enviro. law rankings while UF isn't, but I know that those can be deceiving.

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions! I don't really know anyone in law and I went to a tiny undergrad school where only a couple of professors seem to have any insight, so it's been difficult for me to get advice.

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 09:43:32 AM »
To jpin22-

First, I have no inside information on your admissions prospects. I'll be rooting for you! In the case of such an extreme split in your LSAT scores, it is helpful for an addendum of explanation (assuming you have a good one, as opposed to hangover or test prep) that doesn't come off as whining. Assuming yours is decent, they'll focus on the higher (more recent) LSAT, which should give you a good shot- the only problem is that they are also concerned about what they have to report to USN&WR, which is (I believe) the average. I think your odds are good, but other than that, I have no info. Other stuff:

1. Generally- you don't mention this, but if you are not in-state already, begin getting your ducks in a row to get in-state! Driver's license, voter's reg, etc.

2. Living? Apartments cost $600 -$1000 for a one bedroom (depending on luxury and washer/dryer). For a two bedroom, a little over $1000 (split with a roommate). Houses right next to law school are expensive (~$2000 for three people) - see Steve at Wilberts, less so farther away. These prices are going down (two months free rent, etc. offers). As for where? Depends. There are places close to Law School, and places farther away. Gainesville has tons of places for rent.

3. Do whatever you'd like over the summer. There's a book, Getting to Maybe, that some people say helps get them to understand the "frame of mind" to take their 1L legal exams. But mainly I'd relax or earn some $. They'll teach you what you need to learn.

4. Pizza places? It's a college town. Sushi places? Quite a few. I love sushi. There's the high-end restaurant (Dragonfly). There's the quick stop (Rolls n Bowls). There's Bento (Box and Cafe). There's delivery (Sushi 2 Go). There's a bunch of other places. Some of them are good. None of them are NYC/LA quality, but they're okay.

5. 1L grades are the most important grades you receive. This is for many reasons-
a) because they're the only things you have when you apply for a 2L position,
b) because they're the only time you're taking the exact same courses as your peers and therefore they serve as the only true benchmark and,
c) because they help determine if you get on to LR or other journals automatically (as opposed to writing on).
They've mucked up the class schedules depending on profs' availability recently, but the typical schedule is 16 CR in the fall, 14 CR in the spring with the following:
FALL:
Contracts
Torts
CrimLaw
Professional Responsibility
Legal Research & Writing

SPRING:
Constitutional Law
Civil Procedure
Property
Appellate Advocacy

You will take all of these courses first year; they may switch some of them around (example- take ConLaw first semester and Contracts second).

Good luck!

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2009, 09:55:57 AM »
To tshiph,

First, I will not talk poorly about FSU (other than their football program- do they still have one?). As a general matter, UF Law provides better opportunities than FSU Law, but they are both fine schools.

As for your specific question, I don't know enough about FSU's environmental program to comment specifically. I do know this- since they are located in the state capitol, they have excellent opportunities to network with the small firms that deal with state regulations about the environment. This also affords you the opportunity to deal with the regulated entities (in-house) and the regulators (state government agencies).

UF has an amazing environmental law program. There is an ability to get a certificate (specialization) in environmental law, and we have numerous professors that specialize in environmental law and regulations (too many, if you ask me- but I'm the heartless corporate type *grin*). I have friends that are working in DC for both government agencies and for firms dealing with regulated entities. So I think our environmental program is one of great programs (after our tax program, which is also amazing- think of them as 1&2).

I would contact FSU to get more information about their program. Please remember that many people end up practicing in a different area than they thought they would. I know I am.

Finally- yes, there is a lot of competition for public interest jobs at the *high end*. If it sounds interesting and prestigious, even with low pay, it will have as much (or more) competition as you would find for a private sector job, including BigLaw. Remember- people who go to HYS also dream of working for the ACLU, saving Koala Bears, and protecting the rain forest.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2009, 10:51:05 PM »
To jpin22-

First, I have no inside information on your admissions prospects. I'll be rooting for you! In the case of such an extreme split in your LSAT scores, it is helpful for an addendum of explanation (assuming you have a good one, as opposed to hangover or test prep) that doesn't come off as whining. Assuming yours is decent, they'll focus on the higher (more recent) LSAT, which should give you a good shot- the only problem is that they are also concerned about what they have to report to USN&WR, which is (I believe) the average. I think your odds are good, but other than that, I have no info. Other stuff:

Generally, I think your advice with respect to an addendum of explanation is right-on.  However, an addendum of explanation that deals with test prep CAN be effective.  It wasn't normally so, but they changed the USNWR policy: schools only have to report the highest score now.  This benefited people like me, and this is why I mention this.  (jpinn22, feel free to pm me if you need some help.)

(UF's admissions policy is to consider all scores, and they encourage an addendum explaining the discrepancy, if there is any.  The link is here:
http://www.law.ufl.edu/admissions/faq/prep.shtml)