Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF 3L - Will Answer Questions  (Read 4284 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UF 3L - Will Answer Questions
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 10:09:07 AM »
Let's not be misleading.  Can we talk about the average law graduate from your class? What do they do now?  What about the bottom half of the class?  How many of your classmates (outside of law review, moot court, trial court, top 20%, etx) have jobs already?

From my understanding, which should be especially true now, anyone outside the top 20%-30% will have problems finding a job, not just 6 figure job, but ANY job.

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 12:33:45 PM »
Contact2008,

I'm sorry. I wasn't aware I was misleading. Let me be clear- considering that T14(!) schools are competing with each other to move their OCI dates as far forward ass possible, and BigLaw firms are yanking offers, I thought people were aware that this is the worst economic climate possible for current entering lawyers. There are a few points to make:

1. If you are in-state, your cost of attendance is going to 1/4 that of going to a private school; less, if you get a scholarship. The COLA for Gainesville is great. You can graduate from this place with much less debt if you either in-state or get your ducks in a row to get in-state for your 2d and 3d years.

2. The economy will (hopefully) improve by the time the current group of applicants matriculates.

That said, it's tough out there. Law Review people are still getting clerkships and BigLaw jobs. The state cutbacks have lessened the number of positions that are traditionally available (prosecutor, PD etc.). The people at the bottom half of the class, especially the 'floaters' (those who weren't sure what they wanted to do and haven't really worried about employment) are really suffering. I have many classmates who have no idea what they'll be doing next year, and the number is much, much higher than last year.

Your prospects at UF are better than at any other school in Florida, but, like everywhere else, we are seeing the deleterious effects the current economic downturn has on the legal market. I have no crystal ball. I don't know when it will improve. My advice has always been the same- if you can go to a T14, do it. While I, and some friends of mine, chose UF for tuition/family reasons over T14 schools, I wouldn't recommend it since you don't know what will happen with that one bad exam your first year.

misbuble

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 12:59:41 PM »
T14>Oklahoma>FSU>pnemonia> the plague> UF....

Gators? eww

You ever see those "My kid's an honor roll student" bumper stickers? Those are Gators.

UF in Florida is kind of like going to 7/11 for breakfast. It's the best thing around here, but it'll put a hole in your colon.

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 01:14:49 PM »
Let's see:

UF:
Tier1
Cost: $10,809
Intangibles: Largest alum network in Florida, widely considered the best school, and law school, in Florida

FSU:
Tier2
Cost: $10,770
Intangibles: Closer to beach, Burt Reynolds comes by occasionally, home to many nice people who didn' get into UF

Okies:
Tier2
Cost: $15,025
Intangible: wonderful networking opportunities in Oklahoma; beautiful, scenic, Oklahoma. Free schooner for all law school admits.

Oh yeah- last three years on the football field (and UF Law students get the tix):

Oklahoma: Three bowl drubbings. 0-1 vs. UF. One Heisman.

FSU: Behind the UF rivalry 32-19, lost last 5.

UF: Has beaten the Okies the only time they've played, beat FSU the lat five straight, won two national championships and one Heisman.

But I'm guessing you're not a big fan of facts, or numbers, or things like that.

misbuble

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 01:31:58 PM »
hey hey hey

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 01:36:15 PM »
I think it's fair to say that UF is a peer school to University of Georgia and Univeristy of Alabama, while University of Oklahoma is a peer school to University of Arkansas and University of Mississippi.  One group is in the Tier 1 level and the other is in the Tier 2 level. One group, overal, is slighly better, but some grads from the second group might be doing much better than the average from the second group.  

The bottom line is UF >>>> University of Oklahoma.  

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 01:38:13 PM »
Not to say I don't have many friends there, I do. I hate them all.

You hate your "friends?"   Are you sure you are not confusing the word "friends" with "enemies?" 

misbuble

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 01:40:18 PM »
It's my achilles heel. That and spelling. And math. I have many heels.

misbuble

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 01:43:43 PM »
so sleepy

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 03:34:45 PM »
[Edited slightly]

misbuble,

I see now you aren't even in law school. It's a good idea to never underestimate the people you are talking too. I made the mistake of assuming you knew anything.

Get a clue, 0L. You are worthless.

There is nothing sadder than someone trading on the reputation of a school they're not even attending yet. You don't even know what you don't know.

I apologize for the threadjack; I will be happy to continue answering any questions from prospective students at UF.