Law School Discussion

Advice Needed!

Advice Needed!
« on: January 04, 2009, 09:31:44 AM »
I need advice on if I should retake the LSAT or not in February.  I live in Las Vegas and will only be applying to Boyd.  Their 2008 class numbers were

Median LSAT 158; 75% 160/ 25% 155.
Median GPA; 3.44; 75% 3.71/25% 3.20

I graduated with a 3.89 magna cum laude. My first LSAT was 141 and I was rejected from Boyd last year(I know, I shouldn't applied, but was hoping for a miracle).  I went through Princeton Review again and got a 152 on December 2008's LSAT which was the 53rd percentile).  The deadlines for Boyd allow me to take the LSAT in February and still have a timely application.  I just don't know if I can do any better.  It's very frustrating because I work as a litigation paralegal and I draft pleadings, do research etc. all day long and do very well in my job.  Everyone I work with says what a great attorney I would make.  My brain just doesn't work the way the LSAT does.

On the December test, for the most part, everything I "touched", I got right.  I just don't know how to improve my speed, without losing accuracy.  If anyone has any tips for logic games, I would appreciate it.

Sorry for the long post.
Vegas*Girl

Re: Advice Needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 10:40:50 AM »
With a GPA well above the 75% and an LSAT a couple of points below the 25%, I'd probably apply this year.  How is the rest of your application file (in terms of LORs, PS, extracurrics, etc)?

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 12:12:28 PM »
I have great letters of recommendation from former professors and sitting judges.  I am also an older student (34) and I sit on the board of several charities.  I am struggling with my personal statement because I feel like I gave the admissions committee "the best of me" last year when I applied, so I'm struggling with coming up with something new (I'm assuming I shouldn't give them the same one I used last year).

Thanks everyone for your advice.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 12:52:12 PM »
It is tough to say about the PS - you clearly were not accepted last year because of your LSAT - if your PS says something about you and is the most important/poignant/whatever thing you can write about, than you should re-use it (just re-touch it).  As for your LORs, be careful about using sitting judges.  Are they well known or some traffic court judge?  And further and more importantly, do they actually know anything about your abilities, work ethic, writing skills etc or do you just know them?

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:53:22 PM »
The judges I have letters from both know me personally (1 was my professor and he is a District Court Judge)and the other one is a personal friend, who is a State Supreme Court Justice).  My other letters are from professors who I did internships with and others are business leaders in the community who I work with.

Thanks for all the advice.