Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UC Davis v. UC Hastings  (Read 9590 times)

katx

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UC Davis v. UC Hastings
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »
Make sure to send in your LOCIs. I was waitlisted at both Hastings and Davis (3.52, 163...and I applied at the deadline which was stupid), and when each called me off their waitlist, they both referenced my LOCIs.

Excuse my ignorance but what is LOCIs?  When you say applied at the deadline, do you mean you sent in your application the day before it was due?  I'm getting close to "at the deadline" and I was wondering if I should take into account that it takes 2 weeks for everything to process to the school - does that make my application late if I send it on the day of the deadline, but they don't actually receive it until 2 weeks later...

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 12:32:16 PM »
Make sure to send in your LOCIs. I was waitlisted at both Hastings and Davis (3.52, 163...and I applied at the deadline which was stupid), and when each called me off their waitlist, they both referenced my LOCIs.

Excuse my ignorance but what is LOCIs?  When you say applied at the deadline, do you mean you sent in your application the day before it was due?  I'm getting close to "at the deadline" and I was wondering if I should take into account that it takes 2 weeks for everything to process to the school - does that make my application late if I send it on the day of the deadline, but they don't actually receive it until 2 weeks later...

LOCI= Letter of continued interest. You basically send a letter saying what you've been up to while you've been waitlisted (like volunteer work, new grades, maybe landing a law related internship) and also why you really want to go to school X. Its telling the school that you really want to go there and should they offer you spot from the waitlist you'll definitely show up. As for the application deadline, as long as you send in your app before the actual deadline you'll be fine (you might be able to send it on the actual deadline but why take that risk?). The school will receive the application before it's due and you'll make the cut off, even if they don't have your LSAC report by then. The primary reason people say to apply early is because any school that uses rolling admissions will have more open seats at the beginning of the process, meaning less competition then at the end where you could be struggling to squeeze into a school's few remaining openings.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

hastingslover

• at BIGLAW Top50
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2009, 07:54:08 PM »
Quotes
>>Hastings should be a T25 school. Considering that Iowa is a T25 school, a LOT of schools should be T25 >_>;. Hastings got a new dean not too long ago, so they are actually playing the US News game. As for the curve, they've fixed that also. While they're not using a B+ curve like some higher schools, they have shifted to a about a 3.0-3.1 curve, making the curve comparable with schools in their range. http://theshark.typepad.com/weblog/2008/05/new-relaxed-gra.html
Furthermore, I think that Hastings also relaxed their standards for summa cum laude, magna, and regular (but can't cite to this, just remember hearing about).

This new Dean knows how to deal with USNews Rankings
From Deans Letter
To Alumni and Friends,

FAculty
In earlier letters, I reported on our progress toward expanding the faculty  at Hastings,
thus broadening our course offerings and improving the student-faculty ratio. With the
addition of our new faculty members last year and five more in this year, We have made strides toward parity  with the other UC law Schools.