Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L at Hofstra Law willing to take questions  (Read 9837 times)

SAM34

• 1L
    • View Profile
Re: 1L at Hofstra Law wiling to take questions
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 08:16:31 PM »
What do you think about the quality of the education you are receiving?    Do the professors push the students to do better?  What are you doing this summer for work? 

Thanks.

nevird

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 05:22:03 PM »
This might sound ignorant but I have to ask anyway. What do you think about applying to Hofstra at this point? The deadline is in May and I already applied to all the schools I had considered attending but i would like more options.

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 07:24:46 PM »
I think I am receiving a quality education, however, I do think that people that I know might not be getting as a good as one because it is possible to slack off and still pass. To clarify, I feel like I am learning a lot of important legal doctrines and actively participate in class while others consistently use their computers during class time and briefly read through class materials. As for professors pushing students, almost all (except maybe one or two) are not scary socratic method and take volunteers inside. There will be times when they randomly call on people but usually that person can give some sort of answer, even if its not the correct one. So in conclusion, you can get a quality education but you need to keep yourself motivated and actually care about learning (so if your goal is to just pass then i'd suggest you reconsider what you want to do).

As to applying, definitely apply. I have one friend that was literally accepted a week before school started, albeit, it was for the part-time program so I'm guessing there were slots (He also took the june lsat so applied every where late). If you have the numbers to get it, then I'm pretty sure you'll be accepted. If your numbers are on the lower end, then probably waitlisted. Also, not sure what the scholarship situation will be, but if you have good numbers then you can get a good scholarship (although you have to keep a 3.25, which is a little above curve). But, it never hurts to apply, and if its still the same, I think you can apply online for free.

Best of luck

nevird

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1L at Hofstra Law willing to take questions
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 03:52:44 PM »
Great, Thank you for the info.

cherpin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 11:02:33 PM »
I've been offered a full ride at a T4, and 13k for Hofstra.  I'm close to NY, but I'm not sure if I want to practice there.  What would you do?  Is Hofstra worth paying the remaining 26k (at least)?

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 09:39:17 AM »
What do you want to do? Public Interest? Or mid to big law? If you want to do public interest, the full ride will probably help. If you are looking for a private firm, then going to a better ranked school will help with job prospects. Essentially, you will have to be higher up in your class at the T4 than Hofstra to be competitive. There also seems to be a stigma about going to T4 schools.

chukoo321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 04:21:30 PM »
what is the grading curve like at hofstra??

chukoo321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 05:06:35 PM »
Also did you do any prepping the summer before? or do you wish you did? :-\

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 07:29:38 PM »
The Curve is between a 3.0 and 3.2 except for your small section which can't exceed a 3.3. See this website for more information. http://law.hofstra.edu/StudentLife/StudentAffairs/Handbook/stuhb_chapter_06.html#acad_reg

As for prepping, I did not do anything over summer. I just came in with my basic legal information that i have gained through the years but nothing in particular. If you do not have a difficult time understanding concepts, then I don't think you need to prep. If it takes you a while, then you might want to get a head start. However, I will caution those that want to go ahead, that you do not know what your teacher will be covering in the class or which semester if it is a year long class, so you have the possibility of learning something that you will not need. If you are really bored, maybe read one of those general law school books like getting to maybe which my friend recommended but i did not read. I also do not wish I did, because I did very well without prepping.

Any other questions?

incognitomusic

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 08:19:21 PM »
I've been offered a full ride at a T4, and 13k for Hofstra.  I'm close to NY, but I'm not sure if I want to practice there.  What would you do?  Is Hofstra worth paying the remaining 26k (at least)?
It's probably a little late now for this, but you could use your full ride offer to ask for more money to Hofstra.  I literally just did the same thing with Hofstra and it worked for me.  My original offer was 27500 and I used a full ride offer from a T4 and the fact that I had been accepted to higher ranked schools as my evidence and they came through with the higher offer.
Don't know if it's too late to do this now, but it can't hurt to try I guess.