Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L at Hofstra Law willing to take questions  (Read 9783 times)

Nowhere Fast

• View Profile
Re: 1L at Hofstra Law wiling to take questions
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 12:57:37 PM »
To Daned,

The long island housing situation is not like normal universities. there is on campus housing, and one specifically for grad/law students, but in my opinion it is over priced and institutional. I found my apt on the hofstra off-campus housing website. http://www.hofstra.edu/StudentAffairs/Commuting/commute_offcampus.html. You can also check out craiglist. Mainly, the options, a) I have a studio apt in a house that has been converted into different apts, b) renting out a room in a house, 2) move in with someone looking for a roomate, 3) rental apt which are pretty expensive 4) or finding a group of people to live with and renting a house. Overall, I'm happy where I chose to live. Not far from school and real close to the railroad to go into the city. Its also in a safe, family neighborhood.

To bounders,
One of my professors last semester falls into the 70/80 category, and one this semester I think falls into the other category. The rest are in the middle age range, with a couple being on the younger side. And I would add, I happen to like the professors that happen to fall into the 2 categories. But to give a broader perspective, you will probably not like all your professors, but you should be able to deal with all different kinds of teachers and adjust to the professors that you like and don't like.

Hope that helps clarify your two questions

The on-campus housing for grad/law students is a joke with the rules it has. It is OK if you JUST want to study, but if you plan to have any fun at all, do not move into these apartments. It is a great place to get work done, and meet certain people, but the rules are worse than some dorms I lived in while at undergraduate college. Do not expect to be treated as an adult here. I am not trying to bad mouth Hofstra, because they were nothing but nice to me with my transition and the problems I had at the begining of last semester (personal, not legal or academic or psychotic or psychological lol). But, I would say definitely listen to the OP and get an apartment in Staten Island, do not live on campus.

An apartment on Staten Island?  I dont know about that. 

I currently live on Staten Island, and even if I got an apartment by the Verrazano Bridge -- it would take me at least an hour to an hour and a half with traffic.  As much as I would love to stay here while going to Hofstra, I don't think that commute time would be the best option.

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 11:57:20 PM »
Sorry Im really bad with the NY terminology. I meant the island that Hofstra is on.

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 11:43:04 AM »
Long Island. And not necessarily right by school because its not the nicest area. However, there are really nice places within a 10 mile vicinity.

ls2012

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 11:48:24 AM »
OP/Or any other Hofstra Students out there,

How has the economy impacted employment prospects for the Top 10%? Pre-recession I've heard that students in the top 10% had minimal hardships finding employment with Vault 100 firms. Has this changed?

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 08:35:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure that is a very speculative question because it probably won't be able to be determined until fall OCI. If the rescission of 3L offers and reduction of 2L summers, then the situation in general will probably not be the greatest and competition for the limited spots will be that much greater.

However, I don't think that will prevent the top 10% from getting a good job, maybe not at the most prestigious firms. But keep in mind, fall OCI is August/Sept, which is over 5 months away so the economy could be better, worse, or the same. I'm keeping my hopes up and trying to be optimistic, but I don't think going to Hofstra is going to be detrimental (besides the typical not going to a t14/t20 school), and if you plan on working in the new york market, it would be a good choice (pending you are willing to be the hard work to do well, otherwise, not sure how great your job prospects are)

ls2012

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 10:06:17 AM »
bryan,

thank you for your response. right now i am debating between hofstra, pace and syracuse. off the bat i've pretty much thrown out Pace as an option. hofstra has provided a small scholarship ($12.5K) but with its high cost of living as compared to the city of syracuse, my numbers tell me that the cost difference will be negligible.

while working in nyc is at the top of my goals, i do want to keep open the possibility of working in D.C. from what i pull off of the bios of law offices in the DC market, it seems as if there is a greater syracuse presence than hofstra.

true, living in syracuse for 3 years is not exactly appealing to me. but, if it opens a few more doors in the long run, i think i will be able to grind it out.

when you were filtering down your list of schools, what made you chose hofstra over your other choices? what other offers did you turn down to enroll at hofstra?

thanks again for your help.

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »
Let me first start off with the Cost of Living. I'm guessing you know that Hofstra is on long island and not in New York City, therefore the cost of living is MUCH less than if you lived in the city. While the housing situation is a lot different than around a university campuses (I would not recommend moving into the overpriced dorms), it is possible to find inexpensive housing. Personally, I'm paying $675 for a studio apt that's in a converted house in a nice neighborhood near the train station. It possible to find cheaper if you rent a room from someone or find roommates and rent a place. Of course there are more expensive options, my friend pays about 1,000 a month for a one bedroom that's on a second floor of a house, but its obviously much more spacious. So, if the cost of living is higher, its probably at MOST 2-3k.

Second, if you want to work in nyc, i'd definitely tell you go to Hofstra. While you probably need to be towards the top of the class to get a big law job (probably about the same as syracuse), the proximity to the city is great, not only for going out, but also for interviewing with employers. Although I haven't done 2L OCI cause I'm only a 1L, but i'm guessing its much easier to go in for a callback interview from OCI or go to a first interview if the firm does not do OCI. (And also if I get a Summer Associate position, I will be able to take the train into the city instead of moving) So, essentially you get the benefit of being close to the city, without the city price.

As for possibly working in D.C., I'm not sure what the stats are, but as you probably know Hofstra is a more regional school (as I'm guessing syracuse is, or maybe a little less cause its pretty far away), but I'm sure there is the possibility of either finding work in D.C. if you want to take the initiative or making a lateral transfer after you have work experience.

As for me personally, from the schools that I decided to apply to based on mostly whether there was a good family law program (not sure I want to do that anymore) so it was either stay in Florida and get in state tuition or move to NY and go to Hofstra and pay about the same because of the scholarship. My sister and Aunt also live in the city and Queens so I knew I'd have family up here. So far I have been happy with my decision (since a top school was not an option for me, and even though it might be now, its not worth the money to transfer).

Hope that helps. My only other advice, is make an informed decision, think about what you really want including your goals and where you want to work.

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »
To support my cost analysis betweeen Hofstra and Syracuse, see the ranking of law schools by cost.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/law/private_cost

chukoo321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 02:44:03 PM »
what lender did you choose? and from conferring with others do you think it was the best choice?

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »
I didn't really investigate which lender to go with, but most of the major lenders have similar repayment options and incentives. I just went with Bank of America because i have a checking and credit card with them and would rather go with a company that I currently use and hoping it should be more convenient. Also, I have not and I have never heard any of my friends conferring with each other over what lender to go with. I feel like worrying about the loans are not a top priority until graduation, but then its probably not really discussed that much. So either do your research and see what companies have the best pay back incentives (for example, a reduction in interest rate if paid on time for 6 months) or go with a big company you are familiar with.