Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L at Hofstra Law willing to take questions  (Read 9855 times)

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
1L at Hofstra Law willing to take questions
« on: January 03, 2009, 11:25:48 PM »
I have seen that Hofstra has begun sending out acceptances, so I'd thought I'd offer to answer any questions anyone had regarding both school and social life. Just post them on this board and I will respond as soon as possible.

Good luck to everyone with their applications

Bryan

adi1

• View Profile
Re: 1L at Hofstra Law wiling to take questions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 10:18:58 AM »
quick question: what is the chances of going to hofstra and getting good grades year 1 and then transfering to fordham/nyu/etc ? is it possible? do u know anyone who transfered out? what grades would u need to have?

Are u full time or part time? and how are the professors??

Also, if you stay in hofstra for all 3 years, what do you need to do in order to get a biglaw job from hofstra if thats what you want after law school?

Also, how is the competition with the rest of your class? is it very cut-throat just like at the other schools in NY? 

Thanks!!

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »
To begin with, I am only a 1L so no one that I have meet has transferred yet. But from my understanding, it is possible if you are in the top of the class to transfer out to another NY school. This is only a guess, but you would probably need to be in the 10% (maybe higher for nyu or columbia). But a side note, if you can get a scholarship from hofstra and get the same kind of job as you would at nyu or columbia, it might make more sense economically to stay and forgo going for the name recognition. (I have thought about transferring and depending how I do, i'm leaning closer to keeping the money)

As for the professors, I have learned a lot and find that most of my professors really care about how we do and are very approachable. Even the ones that aren't always around school can be easily emailed. By the way I am full-time, but i do not a lot of part-time day students. First semester the only difference is that they don't take criminal law and also one less class in the semester. Full-time evening i think take even less.

If you stay at hofstra, you probably need to be in the top 10% to increase your chances of biglaw but its probably still probable if you are in the top 20%. If you look at their website, for those that go into the private sector, the 75th percentile salary is 160,000 (and 79% are in the private sector, law firm or business). Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://law.hofstra.edu/StudentLife/CareerServices/careerservices_employment_statistics.html

The competition is not cut-throat. I studied in groups and got outlines from other students and myself personally was always willing to explain something. Also, you will notice that internet surfing and chatting is pretty rampant, however i would give everyone the advice to NOT let yourself be distracted. If you are paying lots of money to go to law school, don't waste it surfing the internet. Also, stay on track with your classes. If you are always caught up and don't fall behind you will understand better in class and won't feel the pressure of having to do so much work.

I will say that since I have not gotten my grades yet, there is still some opportunity for pessimism. However, I'm hoping that won't happen because the finals seemed fair and I think i did well enough.

Hope this helps

kennedyposter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 09:27:06 PM »
Completely unrelated to the whole SCHOOL part...but do you need a car there? I'm absolutely unfamiliar with the area. Is there public transportation that links up with NYC or Long Island itself? If I go somewhere other than Ole Miss I don't want to bring a car. I f'in hate driving,can't wait to get rid of my car, and if I live anywhere near a big city will do so. This may be a stupid question but thanks a million if you answer it.

I have seen that Hofstra has begun sending out acceptances, so I'd thought I'd offer to answer any questions anyone had regarding both school and social life. Just post them on this board and I will respond as soon as possible.

Good luck to everyone with their applications

Bryan

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:45:50 PM »
Completely unrelated to the whole SCHOOL part...but do you need a car there? I'm absolutely unfamiliar with the area. Is there public transportation that links up with NYC or Long Island itself? If I go somewhere other than Ole Miss I don't want to bring a car. I f'in hate driving,can't wait to get rid of my car, and if I live anywhere near a big city will do so. This may be a stupid question but thanks a million if you answer it.

I'm from Long Island and live somewhat near Hofstra. The Long Island Rail Road will get you to NYC in about 40-50ish minutes from Hempstead, where Hofstra is located. Trains run pretty frequently and are almost always on time. Getting around Long Island with a car would be a pain in the ass. It's not like NYC where things are within reasonable walking distance. There's a pretty extensive bus system, but I've never used it... http://www.mta.info/libus/index.html .

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:25:04 PM »
Agreed. Although i do know a few people without a car (live real close by or in the dorms), i could not live without a car. Long Island is not really metropolitan so its like a normal city where you would drive to the store or anywhere else you want to go (besides going into the city, which I take the train, and luckily live close to the train station or else i'd have to drive to the train station like some of my friends.)

daned

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 11:04:50 PM »
I have a couple questions regarding living situations at Hofstra.  I currently work and live in Chicago so I really need to do my research and narrow down some choices for living before I travel out to Hofstra.  Could you point me in a direction of what you believe to be safe, student oriented apartments.  Also, I am looking for a roommate.  What's the most efficient way of going about looking for a roommate?

Thanks

bounders

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 02:05:46 PM »
I have heard that all the professors at Hofstra are either gay or 90 years old.  Since I honestly do not want all of my professors to fall into one (or both) of these categories, this is a concern for me. 

Thoughts?

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 09:15:45 PM »
To Daned,

The long island housing situation is not like normal universities. there is on campus housing, and one specifically for grad/law students, but in my opinion it is over priced and institutional. I found my apt on the hofstra off-campus housing website. http://www.hofstra.edu/StudentAffairs/Commuting/commute_offcampus.html. You can also check out craiglist. Mainly, the options, a) I have a studio apt in a house that has been converted into different apts, b) renting out a room in a house, 2) move in with someone looking for a roomate, 3) rental apt which are pretty expensive 4) or finding a group of people to live with and renting a house. Overall, I'm happy where I chose to live. Not far from school and real close to the railroad to go into the city. Its also in a safe, family neighborhood.

To bounders,
One of my professors last semester falls into the 70/80 category, and one this semester I think falls into the other category. The rest are in the middle age range, with a couple being on the younger side. And I would add, I happen to like the professors that happen to fall into the 2 categories. But to give a broader perspective, you will probably not like all your professors, but you should be able to deal with all different kinds of teachers and adjust to the professors that you like and don't like.

Hope that helps clarify your two questions

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »
To Daned,

The long island housing situation is not like normal universities. there is on campus housing, and one specifically for grad/law students, but in my opinion it is over priced and institutional. I found my apt on the hofstra off-campus housing website. http://www.hofstra.edu/StudentAffairs/Commuting/commute_offcampus.html. You can also check out craiglist. Mainly, the options, a) I have a studio apt in a house that has been converted into different apts, b) renting out a room in a house, 2) move in with someone looking for a roomate, 3) rental apt which are pretty expensive 4) or finding a group of people to live with and renting a house. Overall, I'm happy where I chose to live. Not far from school and real close to the railroad to go into the city. Its also in a safe, family neighborhood.

To bounders,
One of my professors last semester falls into the 70/80 category, and one this semester I think falls into the other category. The rest are in the middle age range, with a couple being on the younger side. And I would add, I happen to like the professors that happen to fall into the 2 categories. But to give a broader perspective, you will probably not like all your professors, but you should be able to deal with all different kinds of teachers and adjust to the professors that you like and don't like.

Hope that helps clarify your two questions

The on-campus housing for grad/law students is a joke with the rules it has. It is OK if you JUST want to study, but if you plan to have any fun at all, do not move into these apartments. It is a great place to get work done, and meet certain people, but the rules are worse than some dorms I lived in while at undergraduate college. Do not expect to be treated as an adult here. I am not trying to bad mouth Hofstra, because they were nothing but nice to me with my transition and the problems I had at the begining of last semester (personal, not legal or academic or psychotic or psychological lol). But, I would say definitely listen to the OP and get an apartment in Staten Island, do not live on campus.