Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Having a pet while in law school - a problem?  (Read 1705 times)

GunnyFL

• View Profile
Having a pet while in law school - a problem?
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:09:07 AM »
I have just rescued a 4 week old kitten that almost died after her mother (one of the feral cats in the area) abandoned her.

When I go to law school, I am planning to leave my dog with my family as he's 17 years old and has lived with my family at home for his entire life.  This cat on the other hand, I am considering taking with me for 2 reasons:

1) I would rather take care of her than get her adopted and not know if she is being taken care of properly.  My family doesn't want another pet though, so if I keep her, she'd have to go with me to law school.

2) I think that having a pet while in law school would help ease my stress level and also just make me feel happier than I otherwise might be during the 3 grueling years I will be starting this Fall.

Is having a pet while in law school feasible, or is my family right when they tell me that I'm just not going to have the time to take care of her?

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Having a pet while in law school - a problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:22:45 AM »

Your family is wrong.  You will have time to take care of a cat. 

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 01:30:20 AM »
You'll have plenty of time to take care of a cat.
2L

nocomply

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 01:40:46 AM »
Taking care of a cat while in law school is totally feasible, but doing so in your first semester might be a little difficult (considering that you'll be getting used to the whole law school routine, and the kitten will want plenty of love).  However, you'll manage if you decide to do so.

Beyond that, cats are easy to take care of.  All you need to do is provide food, a litter box, and some love.  That's it.

My cats are always on my desk or in the room when I'm studying.  It's actually very nice company.

So if I were you, I'd do it.  And bravo for your kindhearted efforts in saving the cat's life. 

DanKalbacher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 05:22:55 AM »
Cats are definetly self reliant!  Feed them and provide a litter box and you'll be good.  (I swear by the "Litter Robot"  A total time and smell saver)  Plus a little playtime is never bad for you each day before cracking the books.  At least it is for me!  I have six!

3-Elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • I secretly love passive voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:17:36 AM »
I moved to law school with my one year old cat, and she's been great to  have around. The only problem is that she likes to wake me up in the middle of the night sometimes, which gets frustrating during school. When I'm studying at home she also likes to sit on my books while I'm reading them! I definitely think you can take care of a kitten during school, just make sure you play with her a lot. Bring her, I think you'll be happy you did.
Emory 3L

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 08:12:45 AM »
I agree - you absolutely have time to take care of a cat.  And if you don't have at least 20-30 minutes a day to put food in a bowl, scoop the litter, and play/pet your cat, then you're probably doing something wrong.

One thing I will suggest is that you consider getting a second cat after you see what type of personality your kitten is developing.  If your kitten loves to play and seems relatively social, and you really do think you'll do quite a bit of studying at the library as opposed to home, getting a second cat will mean neither will ever be alone.  2 cats (if they grow up together) will always entertain themselves.  They may ignore you a little more, but that might not be a bad thing.  Just make sure you consider costs when doing your yearly or semesterly budget (flea/heartworm prevention, vet bills for checkups, and if possible, a small sum in savings to help cover any emergencies)

GunnyFL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 08:50:32 PM »
I'm glad to hear all of this.  As of the moment I am thinking that she'll come with me to school.  She's already become quite attached to me, and she's already been abandoned once, so I really would like for her to remain with me so as to not have her feel abandoned ever again.

We'll see if her personality is such that she requires lots of play time.  If so, her 4 litter-mates were (by total coincidence), found by my neighbors across the street the same day I found her, and he and his wife are taking care of them until they can find them all homes.  If need be, I'll just adopt one of her sisters or brothers to keep each other company.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 02:50:59 AM »
I also recently adopted a cat! I have wanted a pet for a while, and after careful thought I decided I could do a cat in law school. I figure cats are mostly self reliant (particularly with the bathroom issues that I can handle on my own time, versus a dog...), and him wanting to play/love will force me to take breaks more often. Plus, on those nights when you are all alone studying, a cat can really make you feel less lonely.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 03:36:00 AM »
A cat is fine, you will definitely have time for a cat, especially if you prefer to study at home rather than in the library like me (my library is horrible). A dog would pose more problems, but as long as you set aside some time each day to play with it and give it attention, it will be fine. This can be a break for you too and will help you relax. Just make sure you give it plenty of toys to occupy it when you are gone and kitty proof your new apartment.