Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: White Attendance @ HBCU's (motives)  (Read 11193 times)

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: White Attendance @ HBCU's (motives)
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 06:12:19 AM »
I can see I didn't miss much.

lol was there anything here to begin with?   :D

The evidence of substantial deletion lent it an air of mystery. :D

Many people shared, and still continue to share a similar derisive sentiment as you two above, concerning Barack Obama as a serious candidate:
"You say some great things, and you're very entertaining, but it's too bad that you're Black and that the world will never really take you seriously."

i.e. the incessant assaults on black intelligence, beauty, character, and possibility.

So continue on (Miss P, Tasha) with the futile attempt to eliminate deserved credit, and trivialize. I'm not surprised, after all you two are simply playing to the script." :D"

"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 07:19:57 AM »
"Being a Negro in America is not a comfortable existence. It means being a part of the company of the bruised, the battered, the scarred, and the defeated. Being a Negro in America means trying to smile when you want to cry. It means trying to hold on to a physical life amid psychological death. It means the pain of watching your children with clouds of inferiority in their mental skies. It means having your legs cut off, and then being condemned for being a cripple. It means seing your mother and father spiritually murdered by the slings and arrows of daily exploitation, and then being hated for being an orphan. Being a Negro in America means listening to suburban politicians talk eloquently against open housing while arguing in the same breath that they are not racists. It means being harried by day and haunted by night by a nagging sense of nobodiness and constantly fighting to be saved from the poison of bitterness. It means the ache and anguish of living in so many situations where hopes unborn have died."
-Dr.Martin Luther King,Jr.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 08:58:36 AM »

Many people shared, and still continue to share a similar derisive sentiment as you two above, concerning Barack Obama as a serious candidate:
"You say some great things, and you're very entertaining, but it's too bad that you're Black and that the world will never really take you seriously."

i.e. the incessant assaults on black intelligence, beauty, character, and possibility.

So continue on (Miss P, Tasha) with the futile attempt to eliminate deserved credit, and trivialize. I'm not surprised, after all you two are simply playing to the script." :D"

bluewarrior?  is that you  :D
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 12:35:40 PM »

:D  You're having some reading comp problems.  I was referring to the fact that when I arrived in the thread your whole discussion had been deleted, with one random exchange quoted.  FWIW, I pretty much agree with you about white people at HBCUs, regardless of whether you're flame.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 01:21:27 PM »
FWIW, I pretty much agree with you about white people at HBCUs, regardless of whether you're flame.

Are you serious?  A good number of HBCUs are state-sponsored schools, receiving almost all of their funding from the taxpayers of the state (especially because, at least in my state, the HBCUs are not usually research institutions so they don't receive grants and do not have a record of strong alumni giving).  The purpose of a state school is to serve ALL of the people of the state.  They are sometimes the only public university in the geographic area and white people are just as entitled to go there as anyone else.  They're called HISTORICALLY black for a reason.  It's nice to pay homage to the history and unique culture, but they are not exclusively black schools. in fact, I'd argue that HBCUs (like any other school) benefits from diversity. 

Yes, I'm serious, though if your comments here are relevant then perhaps I misunderstood the thrust of the OP's argument (which is entirely possible given its presentation).  I thought s/he was objecting to white people attending HBCUs when they sought some sort of "minority advantage" (still not sure what this is) and not the schools' special programming and mission.  I also understand being concerned about HBCUs' becoming majority non-black given the extant educational disadvantages of black students at PWIs.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 01:23:38 PM »
FWIW, I pretty much agree with you about white people at HBCUs, regardless of whether you're flame.

Are you serious?  A good number of HBCUs are state-sponsored schools, receiving almost all of their funding from the taxpayers of the state (especially because, at least in my state, the HBCUs are not usually research institutions so they don't receive grants and do not have a record of strong alumni giving).  The purpose of a state school is to serve ALL of the people of the state.  They are sometimes the only public university in the geographic area and white people are just as entitled to go there as anyone else.  They're called HISTORICALLY black for a reason.  It's nice to pay homage to the history and unique culture, but they are not exclusively black schools. in fact, I'd argue that HBCUs (like any other school) benefits from diversity. 

Yes, I'm serious, though if your comments here are relevant then perhaps I misunderstood the thrust of the OP's argument (which is entirely possible given its presentation).  I thought s/he was objecting to white people attending HBCUs when they sought some sort of "minority advantage" (still not sure what this is) and not the schools' special programming and mission.  I also understand being concerned about HBCUs' becoming majority non-black given the extant educational disadvantages of black students at PWIs.

wait, do you mean at undergrad or grad level?  or is there even a distinction?
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 01:25:13 PM »
wait, do you mean at undergrad or grad level?  or is there even a distinction?

I wasn't making a distinction (though there might be one of which I am unaware).

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 02:12:37 PM »
I thought s/he was objecting to white people attending HBCUs when they sought some sort of "minority advantage" (still not sure what this is) and not the schools' special programming and mission.

Initially, but then there was a bunch of "don't take black people's spots if you're white" kind of crap. I don't think you have to go to a HBCU for the "schools' special programming and mission" to be morally in the clear on your motives.  Maybe you want a damn degree, pay your taxes, live in the geographic area, and want to go to school on the cheap. For example, if you lived in Durham. 

Also, I think the "white" boost at most HBCUs is largely myth anyway.  Aside from a few scholarships I've heard about.  So maybe it's not "pure" motives, but does it matter? 

Well, I wasn't around for that and have only your recap as a reference.  I'm sure you've faithfully tried to recreate it, but given the context, I'm going to base my responses on what I read from the OP myself. 

I think the point is that HBCUs have special programming and missions that are still relevant.  Regardless of why people want to attend, they should do their part to keep those aspects of the schools going.  I understand being resentful of non-black people who want to attend HBCUs but don't understand why they are important or who expect to get special treatment at HBCUs because of their "minority status."

I'm sure you're right that the " 'white' boost" is a myth (albeit one I've never even heard).  HBCUs should not have any sort of affirmative action programs for white students.  Indeed, I would argue that they should maintain affirmative action for black students so that they can experience the majority-black education that many of them seek when matriculating at HBCUs.

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 08:53:38 PM »
"I think the point is that HBCUs have special programming and missions that are still relevant.  Regardless of why people want to attend, they should do their part to keep those aspects of the schools going.  I understand being resentful of non-black people who want to attend HBCUs but don't understand why they are important or who expect to get special treatment at HBCUs because of their "minority status."

I'm sure you're right that the " 'white' boost" is a myth (albeit one I've never even heard).  HBCUs should not have any sort of affirmative action programs for white students.  Indeed, I would argue that they should maintain affirmative action for black students so that they can experience the majority-black education that many of them seek when matriculating at HBCUs."
-Miss P

Miss P, I love you. Let's get married (black people jump the broom).

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 03:12:48 AM »
...can't we all just get along? :)