Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why is LSD failing to TLS?  (Read 21355 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why is LSD failing to TLS?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2009, 02:04:43 PM »
I don't doubt that it's a choice, but I think the more important thing is whether they think it's a choice.  For the vast majority of people I know here, they don't think of it as one.  Hence the importance of autoadmit and ATL, coming back full circle.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »
I don't doubt that it's a choice, but I think the more important thing is whether they think it's a choice.  For the vast majority of people I know here, they don't think of it as one.  Hence the importance of autoadmit and ATL, coming back full circle.

For people at your school and schools like it who plan to go into BIGLAW, sure.

And I understand your point that, for the purpose of this conversation, what matters is whether they subjectively feel as if they have a choice, but it's sad that people of their supposed intelligence can't recognize all of the options open to them.  And then it's frustrating when they act as if doing something else is a luxury that they can't afford -- especially since they are the people who have chosen the most elite and well-compensated path.

ETA: e.g.,

Quote from: student-side poster today
While a J.D. may have at one point been a sure-fire way to make a huge salary within a few years of graduating, those jobs are now scarcer, the competition for them fiercer, and those of us that do have them are either concerned about losing those jobs in the near future OR simply wish we could afford to do something we'd enjoy more.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

wkjr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 01:02:14 AM »
Agreed. The best resources I've found so far are LSD's "School X Class of 2011/2010" threads. So many current students and so much information that you really wouldn't be able to find anywhere else. Trumps TLS's "well...my friend of a friend who read the Princeton Review rankings said this!" any day.

Also, I agree with Wally that ATL is a good resource if you're interested in biglaw (I'm not, so I generally find it horrifying, but I get how it could be useful).

What people on TLS don't get is that there's more to this thing than just the admissions process. Random commas in your personal statement don't matter!

As someone who's spent more (sometimes fruitful, most times not) time on TLS than here, I'll definitely agree with the last comment.  There is a great deal of shortsightedness on TLS, and the postings just seem to follow admissions season, with never a look beyond whatever the immediate concern of the moment is.  For awhile, it's LSAT prep and scores, then it becomes submitting apps, then where people are hearing back from, and now, little things like where we're gonna live next year.  Now, there are occasional decent postings in the threads where people are trying to decide where to go to school, but even there, there's a little bit of naivete and USNWR-slavishness (and noobs are coddled/tolerated much more).  Overall, it's not entirely off-base, if you're discerning.  Then again, TLS hasn't produced any gems like the old Chicago v. Columbia v. NYU thread I found on here today.  And I agree with others who have said it's helpful to hear from people who are actually associates, if for no other reason than it's good to know/prepare for what's coming.   

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 02:57:44 AM »
It seems like the current student side of LSD has actually been picking up steam, but maybe that's just because I never noticed it as a 1L last year.  For getting advice from students at other schools, LSD is definitely the better tool... less bitterness, more current students, less of a chance a discussion will turn nasty or derail (assuming the topic is worthy of conversation). But for gently hammering common sense into prospective students I strongly prefer TLS... the search feature on TLS is better (as in, it actually works), which makes a huge difference in attracting sporadic posters. I don't need to check it all the time if I can just search for discussions I'm interested in.  LSD takes more dedication, and often requires opening up individual threads to see if they're interesting.  That said, I'll often answer a question on TLS by linking to an older LSD thread (usually one about environmental law, which is usually pwned by Matthies).   If someone repaired the search feature and I would gladly spend more time perving LSD than TLS though, but I seem to recall someone saying that wasn't gonna happen anytime soon.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 04:22:32 AM »
I post on both, and I generally prefer LSD because I think you tend to get better advice. However, I've noticed that on LSD sometimes threads dissolve into the "regulars" talking amongst themselves without addressing the OP, and I've heard that as a complaint about LSD compared to TLS.

This is kind of my complaint about LSD as well. I don't venture onto TLS so I don't know if it's any better there but I do get frustrated when an on topic thread devolves into ten pages of off topic chit-chat between two people. Don't take offense, I like pretty much everybody who posts here, it's just a personal annoyance and one that keeps me from posting more as I feel like I'm interrupting a conversation.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

TimMitchell

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 11:08:37 AM »
I have trouble with both sites, much of the time. At TLS it is hard to get in a word. Here it is hard to take much seriously (tim mitchell's life, are these shoes nice? barack obama songs etc). But LSAT Star, Hammerstein, et al have made this site extemely useful. TLS is USNAWR x wealth-in-a-box. But with so many posts, I'm always scrolling, looking for gold..i.e. "How obnoxious is it getting" is a great thread over there. 

I don't really take my life seriously either

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 01:31:11 PM »
Iím sorry but this entire thread is a little ridiculous and lends credibility to the assertion that law students, law school applicants, attorneys, etc are a bit high strung/prone to "elitism".  Who really cares about any of this? Which board is better?  Who cares?  Some of this is some pretty good advice (i.e., anything Miss P says is on point) but the overall premise of this thread in nuts! 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

eat it

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 10:13:51 PM »
this is why - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54003

specifically this post - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54003&start=25#p1112564

So LSD fails because we don't have enough douchebags who think they're Bradley Nowell?

On the other hand, you could just post your pics and pwn all the guys on TLS.  But that's just my opinion.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
this is why - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54003

specifically this post - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54003&start=25#p1112564

So LSD fails because we don't have enough douchebags who think they're Bradley Nowell?

On the other hand, you could just post your pics and pwn all the guys on TLS.  But that's just my opinion.

I would like to second this.

Also, that thread was hilarious :D
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.