Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why is LSD failing to TLS?  (Read 22095 times)

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Why is LSD failing to TLS?
« on: December 31, 2008, 11:53:27 PM »
Ok, so maybe this is a presumptuous topic, but I distinctly remember that LSD seemed much busier than TLS about a year or two ago.  Has there been a big decline in posting on LSD, and is that due to TLS?

I feel like the advice on LSD is a lot more than TLS, and most of the new crowd (0Ls advising 0Ls) tend to post on TLS.  There seem to be far fewer people on LSD who argue without exception to choose a school based on USNWR ranking; and it seems these people have migrated to TLS (or lots of the posters from the last few years on LSD have left, and new posters are going to TLS rather than LSD).  Is this all just my imagination, or have y'all noticed this as well?

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why is LSD failing to TLS?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 12:03:59 AM »
Yeah I dunno what the deal is.  I started out posting primarily on LSD but then, though I still obviously post here some, moved to primarily posting on TLS.  It's just a more active board, for some reason, and that naturally will continue to draw more conversations to it.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 09:30:40 AM »
because most law students are anal-retentive by nature, and tls is the poster child for encouraging this behavior.  we dont get the same "omg i woke up with a zit this morning, does this mean that i will be rejected?"

that type of behavior on lsd will result in mockage, as it should.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

3-Elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • I secretly love passive voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 10:56:20 AM »
I post on both, and I generally prefer LSD because I think you tend to get better advice. However, I've noticed that on LSD sometimes threads dissolve into the "regulars" talking amongst themselves without addressing the OP, and I've heard that as a complaint about LSD compared to TLS.
Emory 3L

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 01:59:52 PM »
I post on both, and I generally prefer LSD because I think you tend to get better advice. However, I've noticed that on LSD sometimes threads dissolve into the "regulars" talking amongst themselves without addressing the OP, and I've heard that as a complaint about LSD compared to TLS.

This is a good point, and well taken. I think TLS threads devolve in their own way though - into uninformed discussions about gender, race, affirmative action, career options, etc. A lot of the posters on TLS are immature, spoiled and really quite sheltered and uninformed.

I agree with Tasha about why TLS has more traffic than LSD. People put up with a lot less bull on LSD. Quite frankly, if it means having fewer "School X updated their website...this means they are open and will ACCEPT ME ARRRAGAGHAD" posts over here, I'll take that.

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:35:21 PM »
Well, as a relatively new poster, I find this to be a very interesting topic.  I tend to enjoy the overall vibe on this site compared to tls but have found it quicker and easier to get responses next door especially concerning non-trad concerns.  But man are there some major A-holes over there with no idea of life outside their own shell.

The overall popularity was made apparent when the LSAT results for December came in earlier this week.  Tls blew up with action and over here you could only hear crickets chirping.

I don't know.  Maybe I just don't fit in anywhere.  At least I have a wife and 4 yr old daughter to console me and listen to my bitches.

Happy New Year by the way!
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz

redcement

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 08:55:19 PM »
I have trouble with both sites, much of the time. At TLS it is hard to get in a word. Here it is hard to take much seriously (tim mitchell's life, are these shoes nice? barack obama songs etc). But LSAT Star, Hammerstein, et al have made this site extemely useful. TLS is USNAWR x wealth-in-a-box. But with so many posts, I'm always scrolling, looking for gold..i.e. "How obnoxious is it getting" is a great thread over there. 

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 09:25:42 PM »
The people on TLS are pretty much idiots.  I would sooner go to autoadmit over TLS for information.  I'm consistently amazed by how the blind lead the blind on that website.  Wouldn't you ever ask yourself, as an applicant, "Hey, who's giving me this advice?"  Because I sure as hell wouldn't go to a school based on what some 0L with a copy of US News thinks about employment prospects.

For the record, I lurk on autoadmit and I think that it actually has better info than LSD and TLS, and ATL pwns them both.  You simply need to go where associates are, because they know best.

Autoadmit is also better at dispensing reality checks, which LSD does decently well.

Oh, well.  Have fun at your TTT, f**.

ak362

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 09:34:18 PM »
I go to TLS for mindless banter, and LSD to surf for decent info on law schools. Sometimes, I see stuff on TLS just linking back to LSD, so eh..

I'm kinda glad LSD doesn't have an explicit What Are My Chances board... it all gets so mindnumbing.

There are some good folks on TLS, but for the most part, +1 about the TLS mentality.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
Agreed. The best resources I've found so far are LSD's "School X Class of 2011/2010" threads. So many current students and so much information that you really wouldn't be able to find anywhere else. Trumps TLS's "well...my friend of a friend who read the Princeton Review rankings said this!" any day.

Also, I agree with Wally that ATL is a good resource if you're interested in biglaw (I'm not, so I generally find it horrifying, but I get how it could be useful).

What people on TLS don't get is that there's more to this thing than just the admissions process. Random commas in your personal statement don't matter!