Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why is LSD failing to TLS?  (Read 22959 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why is LSD failing to TLS?
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 02:55:36 AM »
It's a good assumption.

I'd say this really depends on the person, but no, their advice is not directly helpful for over 90% of law students.

IDK, some of the associates I knew at my old work were . . . shockingly uninformed.  For example, one of them tried to talk me into applying to his T14 alma mater despite the fact that he knew my precise numbers, which were laughable.  And he had just graduated, so he had no excuse.

I also agree with this.  A former supervisor of mine (who had worked as an associate before joining my public interest employer) somehow thought I was getting into her alma mater (HLS) despite my sub-3.0 GPA, just because I had a 170+ LSAT.

Yes, but it's relevant to me, right?  I don't follow.  I realize that most people are not at top schools, or their rank precludes them from BigLaw work, but I don't see how that's relevant to my own interests in autoadmit.  If we're discussing the general populace, then I still think autoadmit is still relevant, because most students aim for BigLaw, especially those with loans (and I think that holds true at most schools).

People do fail to realize it's mostly a numbers-game, but LSN is there for that.  I would rather have a good website that discusses where to go once you're admitted, and what to do once there.  That website is LSD, and, to a lesser but important extent, ATL and XOXO.  But TLS, to me, perpetuates misinformation, and is therefore all the more insidious as a market share competitor to the others.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 03:06:55 AM »
Yes, but it's relevant to me, right?  I don't follow. 

Sure.  But I thought you were making an argument about which sites were the most helpful in general ("You simply need to . . .").

I realize that most people are not at top schools, or their rank precludes them from BigLaw work, but I don't see how that's relevant to my own interests in autoadmit.  If we're discussing the general populace, then I still think autoadmit is still relevant, because most students aim for BigLaw, especially those with loans (and I think that holds true at most schools).

I don't think most students aim for BIGLAW.  I go to a school where most people can't and some people choose not to.  Either way, the advice from snobs at xo, which is, indeed, generally good advice for its target audience, won't directly help people who are trying to position themselves for BIGLAW at lower-ranked schools. 

Also, ftr, it is really irritating when people imply that only law students at bad schools or with bad grades would choose to do something outside of BIGLAW or that only trustafarians can do public interest work.  I think you know this, but there you go anyway.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 10:59:45 AM »

IDK, some of the associates I knew at my old work were . . . shockingly uninformed.  For example, one of them tried to talk me into applying to his T14 alma mater despite the fact that he knew my precise numbers, which were laughable.  And he had just graduated, so he had no excuse.

I also agree with this.  A former supervisor of mine (who had worked as an associate before joining my public interest employer) somehow thought I was getting into her alma mater (HLS) despite my sub-3.0 GPA, just because I had a 170+ LSAT.

Yeah, I'm quickly learning that neither site, or even AA, was able to give useful information regarding where I should apply, mostly because of the uniqueness of being an old URM with somewhat splitter numbers.  I only wish I'd have realized that earlier, and applied to more places I might actually want to go/live, versus where my purportedly awesome softs would get me in.  I frankly wasted a lot of money buying into the hype, particularly on places like NYU and UVa.  Wish I could have a do-over on that.  :-\
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 11:01:11 AM »
I never implied that, or at least didn't intend to, Miss P.  I have good friends here who want to do PI or Government work, and they tell me that it's as, or more, competitive than any firm job.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »
I never implied that, or at least didn't intend to, Miss P.  I have good friends here who want to do PI or Government work, and they tell me that it's as, or more, competitive than any firm job.

Okay.  But starting your statement with "most people are not at top schools, or their rank precludes them from BigLaw work" made it sound as if these would be the only reasons someone might not share your particular goals.  "Most students aim for BigLaw, especially those with loans" also implies that people do BIGLAW out of financial necessity and not because it is a choice among many.  Nearly all law students have loans; most of us don't do BIGLAW. 

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 01:16:35 PM »
At least at my school, I get the sense that people do BigLaw almost exclusively because of the debt.  Most people plan to do their 2 or 3 years and then go elsewhere.  There are a few people like me who are prestige-whores and are genuinely into BigLaw and firms, but they're an outspoken minority.  Moreover, I feel like a lot of people with loans at other schools would like to do BigLaw also because of the debt.  But I may be wrong.

So I did imply it, but feel free to rebut my suggestion.  And I know that you did pretty well for yourself, loan-wise, so we may be surrounded with different notions.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 01:19:47 PM »
Yeah, but they want to work somewhere that people have actually heard of.  They don't want to, like, actually help the indigent or waste away as mid-level bureaucrats in the bowels of a big office building while playing with toy cars and forwarding WAY too many NYT articles to their kids out of boredom.

Frankly, having seen my dad's life of leisure, I think the latter is terribly underrated.

thats exactly my game!
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 01:21:22 PM »
It's better to burn out than to fade away!!!

(This is the story of the Wally Rotten.)

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 01:26:03 PM »
It's better to burn out than to fade away!!!

(This is the story of the Wally Rotten.)

ive been burned for years :P

My dad hasn't gone to work since before I finished finals on 12/18.  His job is amazing.

awesome.  i want federal government, where employees cant be dislodged with nuclear weapons.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 01:35:18 PM »
At least at my school, I get the sense that people do BigLaw almost exclusively because of the debt.  Most people plan to do their 2 or 3 years and then go elsewhere.  There are a few people like me who are prestige-whores and are genuinely into BigLaw and firms, but they're an outspoken minority.  Moreover, I feel like a lot of people with loans at other schools would like to do BigLaw also because of the debt.  But I may be wrong.

So I did imply it, but feel free to rebut my suggestion.  And I know that you did pretty well for yourself, loan-wise, so we may be surrounded with different notions.

I have approx. $65K plus interest in loans (living expenses, the remainder of my tuition and fees).  I don't come from a wealthy family, I never made more than $32K/year, and I was paying off my undergraduate loans into my 30s.  Some of my friends have $150K and more in loans, and we go to a school with a poor LRAP.  We're still doing public interest work, and all of your friends can too. 

I'm sure money is a big motivating factor for those who aren't prestige whores like you (:P), but it's certainly not the only one.  They're not bound to BIGLAW because of their loans.  It's a choice.  It may be a practical choice, but it's a choice nonetheless.