;

Poll

Chill place: Columbia or NYU?

Columbia
 11 (52.4%)
NYU
 10 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Where are students more happy: Columbia or NYU  (Read 3373 times)

Olto

• View Profile
Re: Where are students more happy: Columbia or NYU
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 10:56:44 AM »
That's why NYU sucks, Columbia doesn't need to remind people that it is prestigious.  But seriously, this is a purely personal choice (if you are only worried about atmosphere).

NYU 2011 here. Love it here, can't see myself anywhere else. Everyone here is very happy and I've actually heard of or met several transfers from other T10 schools (including Harvard).

I'm not sure about what you're trying to point out from what I said. I'm simply pointing out that NYU is known to have a certain atmosphere and that students have transferred from other great schools to take advantage of it. Not only is this exactly what the OP asked, but it is also not a claim for prestige or academic elitism. As I said in my original reply, they're both prestigious and amazing schools. OP wants to know about atmosphere and I gave a few examples of NYU's. If you, or anyone else, wants to give examples of student life at CLS, please feel free so they can make an informed decision.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 10:42:25 PM »
I dunno, I remember this CLS girl who kept playing WOW during crim law last semester.  It was sort of distracting to see this weird-looking butterfly zooming through a jungle while we were talking about statutory rape. 

Britney!  You should come visit during ASW!

What was the Levmore/Chicago story? 

The bolded made me lol.

Also, I need to be admitted to attend an ASW!!!  I'm not sure if I'll be able to swing the time off to go, particularly because I've already been to CLS (during a time when they weren't trying to woo me, so maybe more honest?), but being admitted would be beyond.  I've got a pretty big crush on CLS, as many already know.

I hope you get in!

Re: Levmore

I thought he was funny in a somewhat abrasive way when I visited Chicago's ASW--but the story Miss P ( :-*) posted above was a hot mess. 
Columbia 3L

squirrelrogue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 11:50:34 PM »
I'm a CLS 2L and I have several friends at NYU.  The impression I have is that CLS is a bit harder than NYU, which probably makes people less happy.  My friends at NYU who have been very academically successful worked hard, but didn't kill themselves.  Everyone I know who is really successful at CLS seems to work constantly.  If I had to guess, the difference is probably in overall class attitude.  It seems like NYU students as a whole care more about maintaining a normal life while the CLS students will generally sacrifice quite a bit for their grades.

Of course, if you don't care about being law review/top of your class, CLS is a more social experience.  But, it seems like for the most part the people who really enjoy themselves at CLS are not the academic stars.  My experience with NYU students indicates that you can do really well without working yourself into the ground.

Just my limited observation.

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 12:22:51 AM »
I'm a CLS 2L and I have several friends at NYU.  The impression I have is that CLS is a bit harder than NYU, which probably makes people less happy.  My friends at NYU who have been very academically successful worked hard, but didn't kill themselves.  Everyone I know who is really successful at CLS seems to work constantly.  If I had to guess, the difference is probably in overall class attitude.  It seems like NYU students as a whole care more about maintaining a normal life while the CLS students will generally sacrifice quite a bit for their grades.

Of course, if you don't care about being law review/top of your class, CLS is a more social experience.  But, it seems like for the most part the people who really enjoy themselves at CLS are not the academic stars.  My experience with NYU students indicates that you can do really well without working yourself into the ground.

This also seems to be the reputation each school has on the law school forums I've been on, and was a pretty big factor in my decision.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 01:44:41 PM »

perhaps due to a more lenient curve?

fwiw, none of my friends study all of the time...we're all pretty damn lazy  ;D
Columbia 3L

ShadWhitmore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 02:16:32 PM »
I did find the story funny at first.  But Chicago already comes with this reputation, and certain things just reinforce it.  I am sure that there are rude or intense people at NYU and Columbia, but they don't have reputations for it.  It does help to have an idea of what people at the school are actually like, but I am not so sure that ASW is the best place to see people-when they are on their best behavior.  I tend to think that people are more frank on this board than they are at ASW, when they have a job to do. 

Overall, NYU and Columbia students online have been incredibly cool.  I've pretty much totally ruled Chicago out after reading that story about the Dean, and don't really care how people perform at a staged ASW weekend.  No offense, but way too many Chicago Students don't seem terribly happy there, including Freely gives leave to amend.  Some others seem really defensive when you ask about their school or downright rude (I do appreciate your response though, freely, I don't mean you here).  I really don't want to spend too much time on that.  It was bothersome because I like Chicago's reputation otherwise, if only the rest of its reputation didn't seem so damn accurate.

I'll probably just have to wait and see with Columbia.  I do keep getting more and more impressed with NYU as I read about it.   There are some insanely good professors there!

Wait, you donít want to base your decision on a staged ASW, so instead youíre basing it on a third-person account of a single event that occurred at a staged ASW? hmmm...

Wait for money offers, visit schools (not during ASW, if you must), talk (in person) with actual students, and consider real data (Leiterís blog is excellent). There are plenty of reasons to choose NYU or Columbia over Chicago.  Donít base your decision on an exaggerated retelling of a flippant remark and a few LDS posts.

Disclosure: Iím a deferred UofC student who turned down money at Columbia and NYU to defer. I was at the ASW, by the way, and I think the TLS poster blew it out of proportion. His account of the story is a bit hyperbolic.