;

Poll

Chill place: Columbia or NYU?

Columbia
 11 (52.4%)
NYU
 10 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Where are students more happy: Columbia or NYU  (Read 3345 times)

Big Boy Pants

• View Profile
Re: Where are students more happy: Columbia or NYU
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 07:46:52 PM »
Dude, chill out.  Why don't you actually visit the school at ASW, rather than deciding on the basis of internet hearsay?

This website is not representative of Chicago.  Period.  If you visited, you would see that it's full of normal, fun-loving people with good employment prospects.  Are there a few intense people such as myself?  Yes.  But you're misguided and/or naive if you think that these people don't exist at NYU or CLS in equal measure.  I almost went to one of those schools.

Finally, for the record, Dean Levmore is hilarious, but he does alienate people sometime with his wacky, frank sense of humor.  Just because someone on TLS said that Dean Levmore is a "jackass dean" doesn't mean it's true.  If you actually met Dean Levmore, which you will at ASW, you would realize that he's a funny guy whose sarcasm comes across in the wrong way sometimes.

I'm all for offensive humor, but if the story quoted on TLS was true it was pretty harsh.  Which is why I'm having a tough time believing it, though.

I did find the story funny at first.  But Chicago already comes with this reputation, and certain things just reinforce it.  I am sure that there are rude or intense people at NYU and Columbia, but they don't have reputations for it.  It does help to have an idea of what people at the school are actually like, but I am not so sure that ASW is the best place to see people-when they are on their best behavior.  I tend to think that people are more frank on this board than they are at ASW, when they have a job to do. 

Overall, NYU and Columbia students online have been incredibly cool.  I've pretty much totally ruled Chicago out after reading that story about the Dean, and don't really care how people perform at a staged ASW weekend.  No offense, but way too many Chicago Students don't seem terribly happy there, including Freely gives leave to amend.  Some others seem really defensive when you ask about their school or downright rude (I do appreciate your response though, freely, I don't mean you here).  I really don't want to spend too much time on that.  It was bothersome because I like Chicago's reputation otherwise, if only the rest of its reputation didn't seem so damn accurate.

I'll probably just have to wait and see with Columbia.  I do keep getting more and more impressed with NYU as I read about it.   There are some insanely good professors there!

3.6x/17X

In: USD, GULC, Penn, NYU, Chicago
Out: Not yet
Waiting: HCB and UCLA

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 08:10:20 PM »
So, I'm a 0L and I haven't been admitted to CLS, but I did visit the two schools and had some impressions coming away.

First, I'm sure NYU has some excellent professors.  Of course, it goes without saying that CLS has some amazing profs as well.  I sat in on a Civ Pro class at CLS and even though I was tired from my flight and all that jazz, I was really, truly interested in the professor and how he taught the subject.  I thought the students around me did a great job focusing in and paying attention to the professor (which, like I said, wasn't hard because I found him engaging).

Later that day, I went to NYU to sit in on a Torts class.  Before going in, I stopped by the cafe to get a drink and chatted up a couple of young women in line to ask questions.  When I asked Why NYU, it was sort of disconcerting to hear "Well, it's the best school I got into."  That was the reason.  Not anything about liking the school or anything like that, which struck me as sort of sad.  Also, I've never seen a class f-off more during class than I did there.  I wouldn't usually care except even I found it wildly distracting that some guy was watching a soccer game or playing a soccer game or something on a giant laptop screen (among others).

Both are great schools and prior to that trip, I really thought I wanted NYU.  Your impressions may vary, but I came away feeling a bit sour on NYU and high on CLS.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 08:50:25 PM »
That's unfortunate to hear, but I feel like there are many people that go to NYU because they truly want to.  A few bad anecdotes shouldn't turn you off too much, though the part about people goofing off a lot in class is bad.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 11:36:51 PM »
Tom, your restraint is legendary :D

But I only included that because I've asked people at other schools and even if that was the rationale, they at least faked like there were reasons at their school.  I'm not judging because I think it's a valid consideration, but I still found it sad that there wasn't at least something positive about the school they could point to.

Another part of the conversation involved them warning me that there's some evil Torts prof and they were horrified I was going to a Torts class until they found out I wasn't going to the evil prof's class.  So it was more than just the previous comment; more like the sum total of all comments.

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 01:09:44 AM »
I dunno, I remember this CLS girl who kept playing WOW during crim law last semester.  It was sort of distracting to see this weird-looking butterfly zooming through a jungle while we were talking about statutory rape. 

Britney!  You should come visit during ASW!

What was the Levmore/Chicago story? 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 01:12:15 AM »

Quote from: Iwasgoingtobeasenator from TLS
Ok, well it is time.

So the dean at UChicago met my significant other a few weekends ago at the ASW they held. He instantly told her that he doesn't accept students from "lower quality programs" with "rampant grade inflation" such as [Insert our UGrad program here]. This is despite the fact that he's STARING at her nametag with the "[Insert our UGrad Program here]" portion clearly visible.

Then, just hours later he makes a speech infront of all of the ASW students... and he reiterates his position that he doesn't take students from such low quality programs, but then he mentions that he DID ACTUALLY MEET ONE... and then points my girlfriend out in a crowd of students for all to see.

He goes further and makes the claim that if he wanted "students like that" he could take just 20 students from [Insert UGrad program here], and the school's USNWR would go from the 7 (though he said 6? lol) spot to the 3 spot.
------------------------------------------------------------

As another humorous story on the weekend, my girlfriend also encountered a UChicago accepted student who said that "Georgetown" wasn't even a real law school, because they take part-time students.
------------------------------------------------------------
In fact, the only common theme that I got from any of the UChicago stories was that their recruiting mechanism is to tout their superiority and disparage other T14 programs that they are ahead of. That, and all of their emphasis is on how they're ONLY 2nd to Yale in ______. They do that frequently it seems...

Happy new year, kiddo!

That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 01:17:14 AM »
 :D

But he accepted me, despite my rampantly inflated GPA from a *state school*!  I saw your post about this thread on SFLSD and naturally rushed over to check my post for grammatical errors.  I didn't see anything egregious, although it is always good to be on one's toes about these things. 

ETA:  Happy new year to you, too! 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 01:22:59 AM »
I didn't see anything egregious

Well, you know how I feel about comma splices.

Also, I guess it's the title that really irritates me.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 01:24:04 AM »
I dunno, I remember this CLS girl who kept playing WOW during crim law last semester.  It was sort of distracting to see this weird-looking butterfly zooming through a jungle while we were talking about statutory rape. 

Britney!  You should come visit during ASW!

The bolded made me lol.

Also, I need to be admitted to attend an ASW!!!  I'm not sure if I'll be able to swing the time off to go, particularly because I've already been to CLS (during a time when they weren't trying to woo me, so maybe more honest?), but being admitted would be beyond.  I've got a pretty big crush on CLS, as many already know.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 01:36:44 AM »
I didn't see anything egregious

Well, you know how I feel about comma splices.

Oh, I'm not sure, I don't know what I think about that. 

:P