Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prep Test #27 Help  (Read 458 times)

nooyyllib

Prep Test #27 Help
« on: December 30, 2008, 08:19:42 PM »
Hey guys, I have questions on number 20, 23, and 26 in section 1: logical reasoning.

#20: I can't seem to find the "argument" of the stimulus.  The stimulus seem to be a list of facts.  Please clarify why the answer is C.

#23: I chose D and the answer is C.  I can see why C is the answer but I also think D could work.  Please clarify why C is the answer and not D.

#26: What is the main "factor" that is common between the stimulus and choice D? I chose B as an answer.  Please clarify the answer choice. 

Thanks!

ssilver0210

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Silverman Bar Preparation
    • Email
Re: Prep Test #27 Help
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:03:24 PM »
20:

Poem = (1)work of art +
       (2)exploitation of musical characteristics of language(meter, rhythm, euphony, rhyme)

We're told that a novel is a work of art that exploits meter and rhyme. Both characteristics of a poem (above) have been satisfied, so the novel must also be a poem. (Choice C)

We're told that 90% of insomniacs drink coffee.  We also know that Tom drinks a lot of coffee.  Based on these two facts, we're told that Tom is quite likely an insomniac.

So, we know that if there are 10 insomniacs, then 9 of them will drink coffee.

We do not know, however, that if there are 10 people who drink coffee, that nine of them will be insomniacs. In other words, we have no idea of the percentage of people who drink coffee who are insomniacs. There might be many people who drink coffee who are not insomniacs, but if it's a given that you are an insomniac, then it's likely that you drink coffee.

This is why C is the answer.  We know nothing as to whether people who drink coffee are likely to be insomniacs, and yet the conclusion of the passage relies on that exact information to form its conclusion. As for D, that isn't the problem.  If we were told that 90% of people who drink coffee are insomniacs, and that Tom drinks coffee, it would be valid to rely on the group information to draw the inference that Tom is likely an insomniac. So, the problem is not relying on group info to form a conclusion about an individual, but instead relying on faulty information within the passage.

26:

We're told that most peoples' dreams do not predict the future, though some peoples' dreams do. Because most peoples' dreams do not predict the future, it's unreasonable to believe that those people who do have predictive dreams have ESP.

Similarly, in choice D we're told that most people who take Aspirin do not die prematurely, though some people who take Aspirin do die prematurely. Because most people who take Aspirin do not die prematurely, it's unreasonable to conclude that Aspirin is dangerous.

The flaw is the same, in that it dismisses the possibility of what is occurring in the minority, simply because it's not occurring within the majority.

The problem with choice B is that the word "many" is used to describe both groups so we do not know which group is in the majority.  In order to match the flaws, we need both a majority and a minority group.

I provide tutoring both for the LSAT and the MBE at very reasonable rates.  I provide a free hour to all students to try out the tutoring.  Feel free to contact me at silvermanbarprep@gmail.com for tutoring inquires or to set up a free lesson. Visit my blog @ http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

nooyyllib

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 11:26:32 PM »
Hey, thanks for the clarifications.

I just took a look at the questions along with your explanations and have one question.

For 20, the stimulus states that "a novel, though it may be a work of art in language, does NOT usually EXPLOIT the musical characteristics of language"

while on the explanation, you said that "we're told that a novel is a worko f art that exploits meter and rhyme".  Clarification?

Thanks!

ssilver0210

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Silverman Bar Preparation
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 11:53:29 PM »
The thing here is that in the passage we're told that a novel does not usually exploit musical language, which still leaves open the possibility that it sometimes does.  Then in the answer choice, it says that if a novel exploits meter and rhyme (meaning that in this case the novel does exploit the musical language.)

So the answer choice, as stated, allows for all the elements of a poem to be satisfied.
I provide tutoring both for the LSAT and the MBE at very reasonable rates.  I provide a free hour to all students to try out the tutoring.  Feel free to contact me at silvermanbarprep@gmail.com for tutoring inquires or to set up a free lesson. Visit my blog @ http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com