Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2012  (Read 11662 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2012
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2009, 06:14:04 PM »
And no, there's no way to know right now whether your other two first quarter classes will be Torts, Property, Crim, or Contracts.

It shouldn't matter.  I would hope to avoid the Crim/anything combo, though.  I liked having Torts and Property together because of the Calabresi article.

ShadWhitmore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2009, 09:16:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Other than Chicago students, LSD seems pretty much dead. I think TLS will finally triumph once all the current Chicago students graduate...

pehaigllleises

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »
In what areas of Hyde Park is it OK to assume that parking on the street won't be a nightmare (spaces available, etc.), and in what areas is it absolutely essential that your building provide parking?  I won't need a car obviously if I'm living in Hyde Park but my fiance may have to commute downtown at odd hours daily.

Also is there any grad student housing (not Regents) known for its grand kitchens?  I really, really want a good kitchen.  Needs to be one of the ones that allows pets.  I'm kind of leery of applying for University housing because I want to be able to specify so many little aspects.  Sight unseen makes me very nervous.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2009, 08:28:38 PM »
In what areas of Hyde Park is it OK to assume that parking on the street won't be a nightmare (spaces available, etc.), and in what areas is it absolutely essential that your building provide parking?  I won't need a car obviously if I'm living in Hyde Park but my fiance may have to commute downtown at odd hours daily.

Also is there any grad student housing (not Regents) known for its grand kitchens?  I really, really want a good kitchen.  Needs to be one of the ones that allows pets.  I'm kind of leery of applying for University housing because I want to be able to specify so many little aspects.  Sight unseen makes me very nervous.

University housing is great, but most of it is slightly older so I doubt you'll find any "grand" kitchens here (at least not in my building). However, the one huge benefit of university housing is the ability to get a parking spot in a lot right near your building. I pay $45/month instead of the $150/month that the Regents folks pay, so it's definitely cheaper (and I have a 3BR for ~$1250/month).
U of C 2010

pehaigllleises

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2009, 09:42:41 PM »
Is it possible to still get the law school discount rate at Regents with a cat?  Also, I'm not willing to declaw him.  If I'm going to be isolated anyway in a different tower I might as well try to find a townhouse.  How much do you pay for electric and gas?  Heat is capped at $65 max?  What's the air conditioning situation?

Do any of you know anyone who lived in a townhouse?  How'd they get it?

Muchas gracias.  You all are so helpful.  I'm as certain as I can be that I'll be there next year.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2009, 12:21:49 AM »
I have no idea.  Bosco is LSD's resident Regents resident.  You should PM him.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2009, 01:54:33 AM »
Is it possible to still get the law school discount rate at Regents with a cat?  Also, I'm not willing to declaw him.  If I'm going to be isolated anyway in a different tower I might as well try to find a townhouse.  How much do you pay for electric and gas?  Heat is capped at $65 max?  What's the air conditioning situation?

Do any of you know anyone who lived in a townhouse?  How'd they get it?

Muchas gracias.  You all are so helpful.  I'm as certain as I can be that I'll be there next year.

I live with my two cats in a very nice condo I found on craigslist.  It's located near Thai Row at 55th and Cornell.  My place has a parking spot in the alley as well as pretty easy street parking.

I like living away from things, but it's definitely less constant bonding with your classmates (if you're into that sort of thing).  I might pay a bit more than other people, but I'm a bit of a homebody and need to be happy in my living space.

Feel free to PM me if you want specifics.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

pehaigllleises

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »
OK I emailed the people at Regents and got the answers to all my questions.  I conferred with my better half and he required no convincing, although he is disappointed he won't be able to watch Say Yes To The Dress in HDTV and we're hoping the building gets wired for HD before he moves out here next summer.  My cat is excited to try to eat spiders through a pane of glass for hours on end.

I cook.  So does he, only BETTER.  And I bake.  It's kind of like a friendly survival skill since I won't know a single person in Chicago.

So now... Which 1br/1bath unit styles do you recommend?  North vs. South tower?

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »
My friend lives in a one bedroom in the North tower, and likes it well enough.  I don't think you can go wrong, either way. 

Are you coming to ASW?  You should ask around, then.  I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I live in New Grad, the best dormitory in Hyde Park.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2009, 09:36:27 PM »
Really?  Most of the 1Ls I know live in the South tower.  Maybe it's different for your class.