Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2012  (Read 11603 times)

seatochitown

• View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2012
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2009, 09:40:48 AM »
I live about a thirty-minute walk from the law school and walk all the time. I usually avoid the minus wind chill days, but even then, it can be done. I prefer walking in the cold to waiting for the bus in the cold. Anyway, when it's actually *nice* out, it's time to break out the bike.

And just to reiterate, there are university housing pets-OK buildings all over Hyde Park, including... looks like around 6... on the north side of Hyde Park. Look for the paw print: http://reo.uchicago.edu/gradhousing-list.shtml

OK, back to this obnoxious memo. If you catch me posting again today, please yell at me.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2009, 02:38:43 PM »
I LIVE IN NEW GRAD.  IT'S THE BEST.

(Sorry about the caps.  It's just underrated, so I have to catch your attention.)

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »
I live about a thirty-minute walk from the law school and walk all the time. I usually avoid the minus wind chill days, but even then, it can be done. I prefer walking in the cold to waiting for the bus in the cold. Anyway, when it's actually *nice* out, it's time to break out the bike.

And just to reiterate, there are university housing pets-OK buildings all over Hyde Park, including... looks like around 6... on the north side of Hyde Park. Look for the paw print: http://reo.uchicago.edu/gradhousing-list.shtml

OK, back to this obnoxious memo. If you catch me posting again today, please yell at me.

This is correct. I was mistaken because I was only offered and apartment on the north side and when I asked about the possibility of moving to a different building told that there weren't any others available - but that probably had more to do with the time that I moved up.

Even more reason to like university housing.
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.

ShadWhitmore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2009, 12:36:03 PM »
So I heard Levmore is stepping down... How do you think that will affect the law school? Will the school hire internally, or will they look for a big-name lateral?

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2009, 06:17:55 PM »
INTERNET IN THE CLASSROOMS!

The trick is to only take 6:10pm seminars.

But seriously, I have no idea what will change given a new dean.

ShadWhitmore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2009, 07:17:55 PM »
when do 0Ls get their schedules? civpro and elements are first semester, right? does everyone have torts and property, or does it differ? thanks...

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »
when do 0Ls get their schedules? civpro and elements are first semester, right? does everyone have torts and property, or does it differ? thanks...

You'll get your schedule when you find out your section.  This will be a few weeks before the quarter begins, so expect to know in late August.

CivPro I and Elements are the first quarter exams, but there are two additional classes, Torts and Property.  The latter sometimes differ from year to year.  I know that the 2010 class had Crim and Property for the first quarter.

Everyone has the same classes, but the sections are different.  You may have Property with Helmholz while a classmate has it with Fennell.

Let me know if you want any outlines or other advice!  :)  I'm always happy to help.

ShadWhitmore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2009, 11:22:18 AM »
Evidently (but do not quote me on this?) the lineup of classes changed as compared to last year. They might change the distribution across quarters around from year to year.

Any idea what classes will be first semester? Is this info available on the school's website?

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2009, 11:50:44 AM »
Any idea what classes will be first semester? Is this info available on the school's website?

Your first quarter exams will almost definitely be Civ Pro and Elements. The other two core classes will extend into the next quarter, and which two they are varies a little.

You'll also have a legal research and writing class, but won't have to do anything graded for it first quarter.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2009, 05:49:53 PM »
And no, there's no way to know right now whether your other two first quarter classes will be Torts, Property, Crim, or Contracts.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."