Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2012  (Read 11589 times)

ulpian246

• View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2012
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 12:52:41 AM »
One of the big understated perks of Regents is the fact that your a heated elevator ride from the vast majority of the 1L class.  It does lend to a bit of a dorm-y environment, but with nicer rooms. However, unless you're in one of the apartments really close to the law school, it looks a lot more troublesome to meet up with groups of other 1Ls to study, borrow random books, or grab drinks without entering dirty Jimmys.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 01:07:31 AM »
I live in New Grad and think it has all of the perks of Regents but with closer distance to the LS and only $700 a month rent.  (Yes, I'm a major New Grad troll.)

If you're considering it, PM me and I can even arrange a tour during ASWs, or give you more information.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 01:27:23 AM »
The problem is for people with cats.

Regents allows cats, but they have to be declawed (which is inhumane).

Does new grad allow cats? i doubt if but I haven't looked into it.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

deadfun

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 01:41:35 AM »
Regents does not make you declaw your cat. My furniture would probably be in far better shape were that the case.

seatochitown

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 09:48:05 AM »
I think grad housing is way less of a hassle than some random place you'd get off craigslist--you can pay rent online, utilities are included, card laundry, etc. I even have a gas range and a lovely view. You can have pets in my building (look for the claw symbol after the address: http://reo.uchicago.edu/gradhousing-list.shtml) and it's about a fifteen minute walk ride to Ratner.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 09:56:39 AM »
The problem is for people with cats.

Regents allows cats, but they have to be declawed (which is inhumane).

Does new grad allow cats? i doubt if but I haven't looked into it.

New Grad doesn't allow cats.  It doesn't even allow hamsters.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 03:32:49 PM »
I think grad housing is way less of a hassle than some random place you'd get off craigslist--you can pay rent online, utilities are included, card laundry, etc. I even have a gas range and a lovely view. You can have pets in my building (look for the claw symbol after the address: http://reo.uchicago.edu/gradhousing-list.shtml) and it's about a fifteen minute walk ride to Ratner.

yeah there are a ton of options in grad housing. i happen to live across the street from the gym but i don't think my building allows pets. to be honest, i don't know enough about hyde park housing to say with confidence that you'd be able to find all those things in one building (up north, yes).

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2009, 02:32:28 PM »
Bump.  Is anyone else considering Chicago or coming here next year?

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2009, 02:39:30 PM »
Just some info:

I live in University housing and I really like it. If you want to be surrounded by all of your classmates its probably not the way to go - most of my neighbors are divinity students - but we have a really nice apartment (much nicer/larger than Regents) and pay like half the price (795/mo). That said, if you don't have any pets you should request a building on the more northern side of HP. You can't walk to the school like I can, but you'll be closer to the gym, the restaurants/bars, and to all your fellow students when you do want some company.

Just my two cents.
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2009, 09:05:47 PM »
Just some info:

I live in University housing and I really like it. If you want to be surrounded by all of your classmates its probably not the way to go - most of my neighbors are divinity students - but we have a really nice apartment (much nicer/larger than Regents) and pay like half the price (795/mo). That said, if you don't have any pets you should request a building on the more northern side of HP. You can't walk to the school like I can, but you'll be closer to the gym, the restaurants/bars, and to all your fellow students when you do want some company.

Just my two cents.

Let me just say that you definitely can walk to school if you live on the northern end of HP. From my place on 51st to the Law School takes about 20-25 minutes, but it's a nice/easy walk straight up Woodlawn. I highly recommend it when the weather is nice.

U of C 2010