Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2012  (Read 11163 times)

pehaigllleises

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2012
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 07:51:49 PM »
How much extra (and per person or per apartment, if my by-then-husband should live there with me) does it cost to use the gym in Regents?  Also, how good is it?  After experiencing how freaking cold it gets there last weekend, I know I won't be able to motivate myself to get outside and go.  Having something in the building is an absolute necessity for me.

Edits:
I suppose I can live without a gym in the building if it's only across the street or no more than a block away.  No farther.  It's really friggin cold there.

Is heat not included at Regents?

finderskeepers

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 08:57:06 PM »
How much extra (and per person or per apartment, if my by-then-husband should live there with me) does it cost to use the gym in Regents?  Also, how good is it?  After experiencing how freaking cold it gets there last weekend, I know I won't be able to motivate myself to get outside and go.  Having something in the building is an absolute necessity for me.

Edits:
I suppose I can live without a gym in the building if it's only across the street or no more than a block away.  No farther.  It's really friggin cold there.

Is heat not included at Regents?

Regents has a "law school special" where you get a free 3 month membership.  If you sign up as a couple, both you and your husband will get the first 3 months free.  Then, its like $500 for the rest of the year.  The Ratner center, which is free to students, is ~1.5 miles away - trust me, it will be too far. 

Heat is not included in rent, but they do cap the monthly cost, so you don't ever pay that much.

pehaigllleises

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 10:01:39 PM »
That's all pretty ridiculously pricy.  $500 is more than half of what I pay for a yearly membership to use every state of the art NYSC/PSC/BSC/WSC that exists.

How much is heat generally?  I've never had to pay for heat before.

Regents used to sound like a good deal, but I think I could find a better deal (1 bedroom of any reasonable size, allows cat, gym in building OR across the street, access to transportation, max budget for all of this $1400/mo) elsewhere, yes/no?

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 10:08:32 PM »
That's all pretty ridiculously pricy.  $500 is more than half of what I pay for a yearly membership to use every state of the art NYSC/PSC/BSC/WSC that exists.

Regents used to sound like a good deal, but I think I could find a better deal (1 bedroom of any reasonable size, allows cat, gym in building OR across the street, access to transportation, max budget for all of this $1400/mo) elsewhere, yes/no?

Heat is capped at $65/month. Most months, it will be $65. I don't really know what other options are around--I live in Regents still, and never really looked around a lot within Hyde Park for other places to live. (I did briefly look in other neighborhoods before deciding I didn't want to bother with car ownership/driving.)

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
RE: Housing
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 10:15:56 PM »

Check out University Housing. I live in the Fairfax building about two blocks from Regents (and right across the street from the bus stop for school). There are nice 2-BRs in our building for ~$900/month, which includes heat and water. We only pay electric and cable/Internet, so about $1000/month. It's an older building, but well kept (older = no dishwasher or carpet, but nice tile floors and well maintained). It's something to consider - check it out when you come for ASW.
U of C 2010

pehaigllleises

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 11:37:59 PM »
I don't currently have a carpet or a dishwasher, those are things I can easily live without.  Does your building allow a small pet?  And does it have a gym?  Those are things I can't live without.

I was already there for the Featured Friday last week.  It was so damn cold, though, that going outside of the law school building to look at stuff wasn't really an option.

OK, I'm going to be very specific.

Musts:
-Stand-alone one bedroom, with kitchen, with bathroom, no roommates.  My fiance may be visiting me often, and this would annoy a roommate.  I also want him to be able to move in with me after my first year.
-Allows a cat.
-Unfurnished.  I've been out of school for a while.  I have furniture.
-Gym in building or nearby.  I'm not going to pay a $500/year membership for some bad building gym when state of the art huge gyms cost only a little more.
-Laundry in building.

I'm flexible on anything else.  I don't care if it has a dishwasher or not, if its view is a brick wall, if it's up 7 flights of stairs, etc.

Is there anything like that available through the university?  Or am I going to have to live uptown?

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 11:45:52 PM »
I don't currently have a carpet or a dishwasher, those are things I can easily live without.  Does your building allow a small pet?  And does it have a gym?  Those are things I can't live without.

I was already there for the Featured Friday last week.  It was so damn cold, though, that going outside of the law school building to look at stuff wasn't really an option.

Our building does allow pets, but there is no gym in the building (it's completely residential, unlike Regents which has s little store. If you don't get a chance to visit again and are interested in it I might be able to send you some pictures of my apartment (as finding actual pics of u. housing is hard to find).
U of C 2010

pehaigllleises

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 11:51:19 PM »
I found the website for your Fairfax building and it looks like it could be an option for me.  You rock.  How far is it from Ratner?  And how easy is it for you to get to class?

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 12:10:35 AM »
My place meets all that criteria. One bedroom, no roommate, washer/dryer in the unit itself, free gym in the basement, and pets are generally allowed (also a fireplace, a small balcony, a parking spot, etc.). I love it.

However, its technically not an apartment, but a condo that I am renting from its owners. So I have no idea if there are vacancies in the building.

My point is simply to encourage people to check out craigslist as well. Thats how I found this place (I did live in Regents as a 1L).
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

pehaigllleises

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 12:15:23 AM »
I think craigslist is going to be the way to go.  University housing is going to be too much of a hassle.