Law School Discussion

Admissions index - How are they used?

*devo*

• View Profile
Admissions index - How are they used?
« on: December 30, 2008, 10:16:25 AM »
So I have a high GPA and a relatively low LSAT. After calculating my index at a number of schools, I noticed that my index is identical to accepted students with LSAT scores as much as 4 points higher (at schools that weigh GPA heavily).

How and why do schools use an admissions index?  Even though I may have a high index at a particular school, I am skeptical about applying because my LSAT may be too low.  After all, a high GPA does not make up for a subpar LSAT score (this is common LSD knowledge), but the index numbers (seemingly) refute this (at least at some schools).

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

'blueskies

• your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: Admissions index - How are they used?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 11:13:59 AM »
I believe the use of an admissions index varies by school- some say they don't even use it, some don't really mention it, and some do. I would imagine its main function is to sort applications: accept, reject, and in the middle, and then they sort through the piles and make decisions accordingly.

*devo*

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 11:34:56 AM »
Thanks Clarity, that makes sense.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 03:05:22 PM »
I agree it is used to sort- but keep in mind that the Index varies from school to school to reflect a school's relative emphasis on LSAT and GPA. If your numbers result in an index that has been good enough to get admitted, that's a good sign and suggests that the school weighs your higher GPA more heavily to offset the lower LSAT.

So apply and good luck

SamE397

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 08:45:42 AM »
I came across some writings from an university of Iowa prof. who did a much better job explaining admissions indexes than I could.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/prelaw/indexcomments.htm

There's also this site which has a listing of admissions indexes. I can't speak for its accuracy but it's interesting none the less.

http://www.deloggio.com/admproc/getin05.htm