* George Mason University
    * Loyola Marymount University
    * Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey--Camden
    * Stetson University
    * Temple University (Beasley)
    * University of Florida
    * Villanova University

DEPARTMENT OF BACKSTORY:
I graduated with two Bachelors (mistake in hindsight), crappy GPA because I wanted to be a doctor my first year so I took a bunch of Biology/Chemistry classes that didn't turn out so well.  About a year and a half out of college and have been working at the local district attorney's office for about a year.

I am interested in working as either a prosecutor or something in the Public Interest field.  But I am leaving my options open because I could take torts and decide I have found my true calling.  I just don't know yet.  I can go anywhere, I do not /want/ to stay in state, but if need be I can.  I have family in Philly/Pittsburgh/D.C. so something in that area appeals to me.  Even though the out-of-state tuition for PA/VA/NJ, do not : /

Anyone have any suggestions?  My apps are being held up by slacker LoRs, so I have so time to figure out where all I want to apply to.  I've been following the cycle thus far on LSN, but figured I'd ask for some additional advice :D

LSN
- 3.1 / 162

Accepted: UF, FSU, Rutgers-Camden(10k + T-Shirt!), Penn State, Temple, American, UPitt, Villanova
W/L: GMU, W&L, W&M
Ding: NONE!

jpasqu

• View Profile
Re: 3.1/163
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:35:56 PM »
I would suggest applying to Pitt. You will definitely get into Duquesne so you might as well shoot an app to Pitt because its a better school in addition to the whole thing going on the the firing of Duquesne's dean,  it might be smart to avoid them.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:45:42 PM »
Apply to Denver, your LSAT score should get you some $ there.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 02:06:37 PM »
wow... I wish I had your LSAT... 3/4 years ago, i would have given you my 3.6 GPA just for some of your LSAT!! haha anyway... I would shoot higher if I was you... It is a world of LSATS out there... Although you GPA does hurt a little, you can explain it off in an addendum discussing the theory that you started college wanting to be a Doctor, but after taking Chem and Bio, you realized it was not truly your passion....

hummm... now your schools... (which I have extensive knowledge about... I applied to just about everyone, and am currently a visiting 3L at Villanova)

* Duquesne University----You are a definite plus scholarship.. so if you looking for a ride, this school will hook you up.
    * Florida State University--- You should get in
    * George Mason University---You may get in... You may get waitlisted first
    * Loyola Marymount University--- You should get into the school...
    * Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey--Camden--- You will get in.
    * Stetson University--- You definitely will get in, plus $$$
    * Temple University (Beasley)--- You should get into the school
    * University of Florida---- You may get in but may not also... close call
    * Villanova University--- You should get in to the school

Solid numbers!! Go for it... Also add Pitt Law like the above poster, and more schools like U of Miami, Drexel would hook you up too.

Yo Matthies....long time no talk!! How are things going with you?!! U graduating this year?? I hopefully am!! Happy New Year!!
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 02:09:12 PM »

Yo Matthies....long time no talk!! How are things going with you?!! U graduating this year?? I hopefully am!! Happy New Year!!

Yea 3 credits left, glad to be done, you lking Villanova?
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 04:41:03 PM »

3??!! wow! that is great! I got a full 15 left but remember I started out Part time and to make it up, i studied abroad for 6 credits plus I took 18 credits last Spring. haha I like Nova a lot. It is good to be back home. My hometown is only 10min away from Villanova. I'm currently interviewing around hoping something will pan out, I may also go back to get an LL.M part time b/c I want to work too. Do you know where you want to practice and in what??

Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

AJaKe

• Sr. Citizen
  • No, a law student!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 11:43:37 PM »
Thanks everyone, I really just needed some reassurance that I wasn't out of my mind thinking I had a chance at these schools.

I'll look into Pitt, and if anyone has any insight as to their personal experiences attending any of these schools, I wouldn't mind hearing it.  Since I have so little reason to pick one school over the other at the moment, hearing things from current/past students would be nice.

LSN
- 3.1 / 162

Accepted: UF, FSU, Rutgers-Camden(10k + T-Shirt!), Penn State, Temple, American, UPitt, Villanova
W/L: GMU, W&L, W&M
Ding: NONE!

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 05:15:53 AM »
Florida and Florida State are your best bets.  Both are likely (though not certain at Florida -- they like high GPA's).  Pitt, Temple, and Rutgers are all good targets if you really want the mid-Atlantic instead.  Duquesne a safety.  I wouldn't bother with GMU -- I had a 162/3.48 and got a flat out reject last year.  Don't play their game of applying just because they gave you a fee waver so they can up their numbers of rejects and up their placement in the rankings (on the other hand if you're willing to do PT you might get in that program).

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 10:44:37 AM »

3??!! wow! that is great! I got a full 15 left but remember I started out Part time and to make it up, i studied abroad for 6 credits plus I took 18 credits last Spring. haha I like Nova a lot. It is good to be back home. My hometown is only 10min away from Villanova. I'm currently interviewing around hoping something will pan out, I may also go back to get an LL.M part time b/c I want to work too. Do you know where you want to practice and in what??

still envrio and water law, but those jobs are scarce right now given the economy.  >:(

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 10:47:17 AM »
Thanks everyone, I really just needed some reassurance that I wasn't out of my mind thinking I had a chance at these schools.

I'll look into Pitt, and if anyone has any insight as to their personal experiences attending any of these schools, I wouldn't mind hearing it.  Since I have so little reason to pick one school over the other at the moment, hearing things from current/past students would be nice.

I think the main thing is these schools are all regional, so what area would you like to work in most after school? I can only plug Denver, where I go, but it does very well in Denver and CO, and well if you ski there is no place on earth better to go to law school what with Keystone 55 mins away and Vail 1.4 hours you can go to class and ski in the same day. :)