Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transition to in-house  (Read 1393 times)

SikWithIt

• View Profile
    • Email
Transition to in-house
« on: December 29, 2008, 12:51:44 AM »
Currently a 2L, with summer associate position lined up for Summer 09 at a V50 in a secondary market.

Admittedly, this is probably a bit premature and I'm making a lot of assumptions about how my future will proceed, but...
assuming I get an offer at the end of the summer and work at the firm after graduation, does anyone have any tips on how to set myself up for an in-house gig (preferably with a pharmaceutical co.--I have abt. 2 yrs experience in the field btwn. undergrad & law school) after working at the firm for 4-6 yrs (or whatever the time period is to gain the requisite "experience")?

I am aware of the high demand and relative scarcity of in-house jobs. I'm also aware that they may no longer be everything that they were once cracked up to be. However, at this point in time, I'm not sure I'm interested in going the partner route so I'd like to keep my options open and have some other paths available.

So essentially, I'm wondering what sorts of things I can do to make myself a highly attractive candidate for an in-house job. Specifically, what work experiences I should seek out when I start full time? What types of practice areas lend themselves best to a successful transition into an in-house job? Should I be aware of any groups, associations, societies, etc that will help me in this goal?

At this point, (to paraphrase Rumsfeld) there are probably more "unknown unknowns" than "known unknowns" for me, so if anyone out there with some experience on this topic sees some obvious issues that I'm missing or has some ideas that I should start considering, I'd be very grateful. As I said, I know there's still a lot for me to learn and a lot that has to fall into place for me to get to this point, but I'd like to be prepared if/when the time comes, and there's no time like the present for me to get started.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Transition to in-house
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 01:21:22 PM »
Does your firm work with pharmaceutical companys?  The best way to get relevant experience and/or make yourself more attractive is to some of the kind of work that these companies care about.  And the best way to do that is to have a pharma client base.

And this ties in with the previous poster's point that many, many in house positions go to big-firm attorneys who developed a relationship with the people who do the client's hiring.