Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interviewing with BIGLAW as paralegal. Suggestions?  (Read 1662 times)

Warbucks

• View Profile
Interviewing with BIGLAW as paralegal. Suggestions?
« on: December 27, 2008, 10:21:46 PM »
I am a senior in college and I do not think it's smart to go to law school directly after so I'm looking for law-related jobs next year.

I have landed any interview with a BIGLAW firm as a paralegal and I'd really would like the offer. My interview is coming up soon and I was hoping you good folks here could offer me some advice I haven't heard anywhere else. Perhaps wearing a solid tie is better than a striped tie, I don't know. What type of personality should I convey? Are there any specific questions I should ask? Any information I should know?

Also, what is a usual salary for a BIGLAW paralegal. What is the lowest and the highest?

Thanks in advance.

Paralegal2Atty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Interviewing with BIGLAW as paralegal. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 09:20:42 PM »
The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to learn everything you can about the firm and it's partners. If you know for what attorney the position is, find out everything you can about him/her. Martindale Hubbel is an excellent reference for attorney bios if their website is scant on information. Be confident about your skills, but not cocky. And don't exaggerate your experience, be honest about what you know and what you don't.

As far as salary, not knowing what part of the country you are in and what your experience is, it is impossible to predict. Good luck to you.

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 12:57:54 PM »
I agree with knowing information about the firm/partners you are interviewing with.  Also, and most importantly, you need to convince them that you will be there for at least 2 years.  Paralegals have a learning curve just like new lawyers do, so they don't want their training to go to waste.  Even if you plan on leaving and going to law school after a year, I wouldn't tell them that.
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

pehaigllleises

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:54:22 PM »
I'm a BIGLAW paralegal in NYC.  Salary depends on where you're located.  Salary depends even more on how much overtime you do.