Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Time or recommendation?  (Read 1131 times)

Hamilcar77

• View Profile
Time or recommendation?
« on: December 27, 2008, 07:30:52 PM »
This upcoming semester I'm not sure if I should take another class (another course in one of my majors which I would enjoy) and improve my standing with the professor (and improve my gpa and undergraduate record) or, not take the course and spend time focusing on my courses (I plan on taking three others) and/or studying for the LSAT.

Other information:  I've only taken one other course with this professor, however, I might have 4 other professors who could write me the same recommendation or better (although he is from a different department than the others). 

Any advice is appreciated.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Time or recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 07:52:49 PM »
You only need three letters, so I would spend the time studying for the LSAT.

Then again, you could probably do both fine, unless you are working crazy hours.

Good luck with everything!

Hamilcar77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:28:25 PM »
Thanks for replying... I know there's a good possibility that it wouldn't be too much to take the four courses and start studying for the LSAT but, I'm just so concerned about doing well that I'll most likely just sacrifice the class.  It would really just be for my own enjoyment in the end (an unnecessary risk). 

Best of luck to you as well.

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 12:05:36 PM »
Unless it is a course that you really want to take or is in some other way going to be valuable to your own educational development, you should focus the time on studying for the LSAT.  Taking the course probably won't make that much of a difference in the professor's mind - it should only be helpful to YOU and in the end, there are probably many other valuable ways to spend your time right now, especially when preparing for the LSAT and law school applications.   I am sure you can get meaningful recommendation letters without this course.  Good luck!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law