Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Worried about job search  (Read 2146 times)

krystal82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Worried about job search
« on: December 27, 2008, 12:05:51 AM »
Ok, so reading all these threads about sending out 80-100 applications is making me really nervous. Is this for people trying to secure firm work? I'm looking public interest work, preferably something immigration or human rights related. How many applications should I be aiming to send out? I'm at a top 30 school, straight out of undergrand, but with a couple of internships. Also, would any one be willing to look at my resume, the career center is closed for break and i really want to send this out soon.

Also should I even bother trying to apply to firms this late in the game as I'm not at T14?

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Worried about job search
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 12:41:28 AM »
Ok, so reading all these threads about sending out 80-100 applications is making me really nervous. Is this for people trying to secure firm work? I'm looking public interest work, preferably something immigration or human rights related. How many applications should I be aiming to send out? I'm at a top 30 school, straight out of undergrand, but with a couple of internships. Also, would any one be willing to look at my resume, the career center is closed for break and i really want to send this out soon.

Also should I even bother trying to apply to firms this late in the game as I'm not at T14?

Why would you bother spamming firms if you aren't interested in firm work?  In this economy, and with your pedigree, you only have a very slim chance of landing anything in the private sector, and it seems hardly worth the effort if it's not what you want to do.
2L

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 12:42:22 AM »
Aren't you at Fordham?  I remember your posts from last cycle.  If that's the case, your school could place well enough for firms, but PI places generally want a backlog of PI work; you can't be a big firm refugee and successfully nail those positions, IIRC.

Ask Miss P.  She knows everything.

This isn't really true for the summer. Scoring a summer job at a prestigious PI type place isn't always easy, but volunteer summer positions are available at all kinds of places - even those where securing a full-time post-graduate position would be very difficult. Don't expect to be paid - your school may offer PI stipends for the summer, so look into that.

As for how many applications you'll need to send out...it's hard to say. It might be more difficult this summer, since there will be fewer 1L SA positions to go around, so people who would normally get those jobs may be looking elsewhere. Someone else will probably be better able to advise you, but take a look around your school's career services website to see what kind of info or job listings they might have.

Regarding firm jobs, it is a bit late and the market is really tight this year. If you want to put in the effort, you might score a few interviews, but I wouldn't count on it.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 12:09:55 AM »

If Career Services hasn't directed you yet to Equal Justice Works, check out their list of employers and apply to all the ones you find to be of interest.  A number of them are in NYC (I also think I remember you from last cycle... tried to get you to Nashville but to know avail).  For immigration, I had a friend at UConn law who applied to DoJ as a 1L and got an unpaid internship there, and most recently got into their Honors program as a result... their office's app. deadline may have passed but if not you should send something explaining your interest in immigration.  As with most PI/govt jobs they're looking for applicants with a targeted interest, not necessarily job experience in their field.  You shouldn't need to send out 80 applications... most PI employers are relatively small and unique compared to firms, and it's a better use of your time (IMO) to craft targeted cover letters and try and find someone (like an alum) to apply to directly.

You've also got a great opportunity to attend events in the city and network from where you are, and if there are a few places in particular you have your heart set on it's worth trying to meet people that work in those offices.  I'd imagine school can be a big help with that. G'luck... if you haven't found something yet, keep at it and you'll get in somewhere you like.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 12:28:54 AM »
Krystal, you're at Fordham, right?  Did you register for the NYU fair?  If so, you can definitely get a job there and shouldn't worry too much about independent applications except to organizations that really interest you. :)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

krystal82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »
Thanks Ms P! I'm actually finishing those applications now. I was having techinical difficulties, so I timed out of segment =(. Thus, I can only apply to 10 employers at the fair, I don't think this will be enough =(.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 12:30:38 PM »
Thanks Ms P! I'm actually finishing those applications now. I was having techinical difficulties, so I timed out of segment =(. Thus, I can only apply to 10 employers at the fair, I don't think this will be enough =(.

They've actually re-opened segment 1 for tonight until 11:00 p.m. or something.  So you have some time!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.