Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What supplements should I get for Property, Legislation and Con Law?  (Read 2193 times)

exgratia

• View Profile
I'd like to get a jump start on next semester's courses and I know of no other way to do it.

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What supplements should I get for Property, Legislation and Con Law?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »
I have heard that Chemerinsky's Con Law book is best, and that the E&E for property is good.  This is based from advice from 2Ls at my school.  Since I am taking those classes this spring I can't speak from personal experience.

exgratia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 01:27:03 AM »
I have heard that Chemerinsky's Con Law book is best, and that the E&E for property is good.  This is based from advice from 2Ls at my school.  Since I am taking those classes this spring I can't speak from personal experience.

Chemerinsky's book runs 1200 pages. I was hoping for something a little more concise. I was also hoping to get some canned briefs. Any more suggestions?

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 01:48:57 AM »
I have the Property E&E sitting on my desk, and it's okay.  It's not the equivalent of Glannon's CivPro or Chirelstein's Ks, but it's something.

I found it most useful for RAP, future interests, and some common ownership stuff (tenancy by the entirety/tenancy in common/joint tenancy), though I warn you that your professor will generally prefer good citations of cases and their discussion over BLL pwnage.

I don't know anything about legislation or ConLaw.  But the 5th amendment and Takings clause are crucial for a Property unit.

ETA: if you want to get ahead for next semester, I would ask your professor for the syllabus.  There's no need to learn the nuances of bailments before finding out that your professor never covered it (except for a minor gloss during McAvoy v. Medina), as I almost learned the hard way.  I didn't read it in advance, but I could have seen myself doing so.

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 04:10:13 PM »

Chemerinsky's book runs 1200 pages. I was hoping for something a little more concise. I was also hoping to get some canned briefs. Any more suggestions?

Sorry, I haven't taken Con Law yet so this is all I have to go on.  I also heard the E&E was not so helpful.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 04:40:14 PM »

It is long, but you probably won't find something much shorter that covers everything. He covers stuff you probably won't cover in your class - and as with any supplement, you should read those sections that cover material you need help with. It isn't meant to be a shorter replacement textbook. 

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »
Totally agree on Chemerinsky. It's long, but I used it for Con Law I, Con Law II and  bit for property (takings/5th Amendment area). It covers everything, and it's long, but worth it.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 05:59:08 PM »
Which case book are you using for Conlaw?  We used Chemerinsky, and I think the commentary/notes in that book are sufficient (as in, don't bother getting the supplement).  The commentary is very straightforward and not full of hypotheticals or problems.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »
If you're using the Eskridge/Frickey/Garrett casebook for legislation, you may want to check out the authors' supplement.  I didn't use it, but the person with the top grade in my class from the year before recommended it highly.  I looked at it at the bookstore, and it seemed clear and well organized.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 02:16:56 AM »
If you're using the Eskridge/Frickey/Garrett casebook for legislation, you may want to check out the authors' supplement.  I didn't use it, but the person with the top grade in my class from the year before recommended it highly.  I looked at it at the bookstore, and it seemed clear and well organized.

I second this a whole lot. I found the Legislation authors' supplement to be super awesomely helpful in making sense of the class.

On a sort of related note, is there any other Legislation casebook? I'm curious!
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.