Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help! Certification signature mistake....  (Read 970 times)

Blair180

• View Profile
Help! Certification signature mistake....
« on: December 26, 2008, 03:51:12 PM »
I want to start off by stating that I realize how stupid this error is and don't know how I let it cross my mind.

Anyway, I answered "NO" to all of the character and fitness questions. However, when I was 16 I was charged with minor in possession of alcohol and given a citation. Nothing came of it, i think i may have paid a fine. I've sent off all of my applications and just now remembered it. I haven't heard acceptances back from anyone. Also, when I was living in the dorms my roommates and I got caught with alochol from the resident assistant and we just went to a class about it, but nothing was criminally charged against us.

Should I go back and contact all of the schools and let them know about this? I'm thinking the R.A thing isn't too big of a deal, but do they have access to my juvenille records?

Thanks..
GPA: 3.88 LSAT: 160

Blair180

• View Profile
Re: Help! Certification signature mistake....
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 03:58:27 PM »
to make matters worse...i got a speeding ticket when I was 16 as well and I just noticed that one of the schools wants you to given a page explanation of the violation.  ??? ???

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:01:58 PM »
As much as it sucks, your safest bet would be to write up an addendum and submit it to all your schools.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Blair180

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 04:08:03 PM »
Do they do background checks though? I just called my friend and she said they only ask that because they'll do background checks to pass and take the bar...

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 04:10:17 PM »
it isnt going to hurt you.  just fire off a quick note to include in your application packet and say "it was an isolated incident a long time ago, and honestly i forgot"

you will have to disclose it again for your character and fitness application for the bar

dont worry about it
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Blair180

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 04:14:37 PM »
it isnt going to hurt you.  just fire off a quick note to include in your application packet and say "it was an isolated incident a long time ago, and honestly i forgot"

you will have to disclose it again for your character and fitness application for the bar

dont worry about it

So they have no way of knowing until i fill out the information for the bar exam? I am going to have to call and see if any of this was even reported on my record because I remember thinking it was never formally charged. However, if it was reported, i was afraid I wouldn't be accepted anywhere because they thought I was a liar :o

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 04:16:59 PM »

dont worry about it

So they have no way of knowing until i fill out the information for the bar exam? I am going to have to call and see if any of this was even reported on my record because I remember thinking it was never formally charged. However, if it was reported, i was afraid I wouldn't be accepted anywhere because they thought I was a liar :o

your background check will indicate all criminal violations, even sealed records.  if it was never formally charged, then your answer would be "no"

they dont care about an mip when you were 16.  or a speeding ticket.  heres what they really really wanna know:  CAN YOU BE TRUSTED WITH A CLIENTS MONEY

thats it.  i have talked to bar examiners in three states, they all told me the same thing.

JD

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 04:19:10 PM »
It doesn't matter if it was on your record or not. Read carefully what the application is asking for- many ask you to report things even if they were expunged or if you were a minor. When in doubt, disclose.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Blair180

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 02:31:51 PM »
If the law schools asked you to list all of the schools you're applying to and you later decide to apply to more of them, should you let them know? Why do they even ask this question?

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 02:35:46 PM »
If the law schools asked you to list all of the schools you're applying to and you later decide to apply to more of them, should you let them know? Why do they even ask this question?

yield protection.  i strategically listed ones in their same area with basically the same ranking in hopes that it would shake out some scholarship money.  worked out pretty well, actually.  but amend it?  bah.

and to piggyback on what blue was saying, read what the application is asking for.  they usually say either "have you ever been charged..." in such case even a not guilty verdict or dropped charges should be reported; "have you ever been convicted..." in such case not; or "do you have charges pending..." which is self explanatory.

JD