Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: higher rankedd expensive school vs much lower ranked school with a great reputat  (Read 1828 times)

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Outside of the "national" schools, it's important to pick a school AFTER researching your desired market. Find some firms where you would like to work in the DC area and read their attorney profiles to see which schools are well-represented. If you'd like to work in a gov't agency, find some lawyers who work there and speak to them. Rank doesn't really matter in these cases as much as "will this school position me to find a job in my market?"

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
None of these schools are "better" than U of M.  Listen, kid: your rank at these schools is FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR more important than the school's rank.

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
None of these schools are "better" than U of M.  Listen, kid: your rank at these schools is FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR more important than the school's rank.

I was speaking in terms of ranking, ofcourse thats doesnt mean that is necessarly the truth in reality when I say none of these schools are not "better" than UMD. Are you saying, I should be more concerned with where I rank amongst the students therefore I should go to a school where I rank among the top? I am trying to figure out what you meant exactly. If that's what you meant I am thinking about that too because you got a poin there.

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Outside of the "national" schools, it's important to pick a school AFTER researching your desired market. Find some firms where you would like to work in the DC area and read their attorney profiles to see which schools are well-represented. If you'd like to work in a gov't agency, find some lawyers who work there and speak to them. Rank doesn't really matter in these cases as much as "will this school position me to find a job in my market?"

Thank You, I have been talking to the students and graduates of these schools on facebook, and they all seem pro the school they went to. I havent talked to anyone who told me do not go to my school lol. The problem I am facing is that, I plan on practicing in these regions and they all seem to have equally well recognized in the region. The only upside UMD has over the other schools so far is just higher ranking, which is no small difference since the lawyer market is very competitive in D.C.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile

TITCR.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile

I was speaking in terms of ranking, ofcourse thats doesnt mean that is necessarly the truth in reality when I say none of these schools are not "better" than UMD. Are you saying, I should be more concerned with where I rank amongst the students therefore I should go to a school where I rank among the top? I am trying to figure out what you meant exactly. If that's what you meant I am thinking about that too because you got a poin there.

It is counter intuitive, but most people disagree with the notion that you will perform significantly better at a lower-ranked law school, even if your application numbers are higher than your peers.  All law schools are competitive.  The vast majority of law students are smart.  If you took many practice LSATs, you probably received varying scores and had a range that you usually landed within.  If you get a score on day two that is five points higher than your score on day one, and if you get a score on day three that is five points lower than your score on day two, does that mean anything?  You are still the same person you were on days one, two, and three. 

This is one of the reasons your LSAT score comes with a band of seven points.  Schools treat seven points as a HUGE difference for admissions purposes.  But, IRL seven points does not measure very much of an applicants aptitude to succeed in law school.  A seven point score band represents only a 68 percent likelihood that your aptitude actually falls within that band.  To achieve a 95 percent likelihood, the band would need to be about fourteen points wide.  http://academic.udayton.edu/thewhitestlawschools/2005twls/Chapter2/Scorebands.pdf

Therefore, I recommend you do not choose a law school with the belief that you will outperform your peers because of your high admissions numbers.

Of the schools you named, unless you get into GWU, I suggest going to the cheapest school in D.C. (or wherever you intend to practice).