Law School Discussion

What Nobody Tells You About LS Applications -- But They Should

What Nobody Tells You About LS Applications -- But They Should
« on: December 25, 2008, 09:52:49 PM »
Sorry for the melodramatic title.  I posted this in the other thread, but I think it requires repeating:

Here's the thing that nobody tells you about this process, and I wish someone would have told me: getting into schools and getting jobs once in law school are very different things.  Yes, when two candidates are stacked up in the admissions office, you'll get the same look based on GPA/LSAT.  However, once you're in the school, there are enormous and totally absurd disparities in where people can go for 1L jobs, 2L firm jobs, and even careers.

I have friends who worked at Big 4 Accounting firms, friends that sat for and passed the Patent Bar, and friends who went to Ivy UGs and then worked in management consulting for a year or two.  Are we all at the same school?  Yes.  But they're definitely not playing the same game as me.  I can't apply to McKinsey like some people and be taken seriously.  Or transactional work.  Or a White House internship.

Once in law school, your resume makes a huge difference.  So don't get discouraged if you don't get into the *best* schools, and don't assume that, because HYSCCN or whatever accepted you, you have it made.  Unfortunately, things are just beginning, and you'll see pronounced differences between candidates, even though one may have had the higher LSAT/GPA combo.   ::)

I think it's a thought that deserves a thread, because, frankly, I think it's totally silly of law schools and a byproduct of a risible system that places LSAT/GPA above everything. 

Re: What Nobody Tells You About LS Applications -- But They Should
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 10:01:37 PM »
I'm calling BS on this whole post, especially the part about telling a firm you want to do transactional work.  I'll grant you that you might have a colorable argument for 1L jobs only.  Patent Bar is a completely different issue for a tiny subset of firms.

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 10:12:03 PM »
Exactly, if you have good grades at a good school and you don't get a job, it isn't your resume.  It is your interviewing skills.  Either you are a troglodyte or you don't know what to say.  Very few people, if any, will have work experience that will actually help them as a lawyer.  Successful work experience shows you can work the hours, stress, team-player, etc.  There are other ways to communicate this, and you don't even need to communicate this if you aren't a troglodyte at a good school with good grades..

Once in law school, your resume makes a huge difference. 

resume matters less than how you do in law school, which in turn matters less than where you go to law school. 

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 10:16:17 PM »
Why is this something people "should" know?

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »
So would someone who went to a non-prestigious state school, but worked 30 hours a week during school at the same job for all 5 years of his undergrad have a "good" resume, or a bad one?

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 02:26:13 PM »
Once in law school, your resume makes a huge difference. 

resume matters less than how you do in law school, which in turn matters less than where you go to law school. 

this.

just some guy

• WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »
So would someone who went to a non-prestigious state school, but worked 30 hours a week during school at the same job for all 5 years of his undergrad have a "good" resume, or a bad one?

It depends on the job. Were you a landman, a stock broker, a burger flipper?

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 09:30:51 PM »

At a call center doing tech support... got promoted to working with cellular internet and PDA phones...

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 01:58:04 PM »

At a call center doing tech support... got promoted to working with cellular internet and PDA phones...

Depends how you sell it and who you're selling it to.
5 years is a plus
promotion is a plus
I wouldn't call it tech support, I would call it customer service
talk about performance awards, etc.

All of those things a transferrable skills that you should highlight.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 02:04:17 PM »
I have friends who worked at Big 4 Accounting firms, friends that sat for and passed the Patent Bar, and friends who went to Ivy UGs and then worked in management consulting for a year or two.  Are we all at the same school?  Yes.  But they're definitely not playing the same game as me.  I can't apply to McKinsey like some people and be taken seriously.  Or transactional work.  Or a White House internship. 

i'm calling bs on the bolded.

This is an extremely funny post.  How'd it go unnoticed?