Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A little Confused  (Read 988 times)

ritkaa

• View Profile
    • Email
A little Confused
« on: December 24, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »
Question 1)Does each school require its own personal statement or do I just write one standard one and attach it to my applications?

Question 2) How long does it take to fill out an application (time wise)

Question 3) I am retaking the LSAT in February. Should I have my applications in before then or wait till I take it?

Thanks everyone!

jarfrey juhraf

• View Profile
Re: A little Confused
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 03:15:34 PM »
1) Read the Application and the instructions for each school. In most cases the prompt is the same, but you might need to answer some additional questions.

2) It depends on the person/application. go to LSAC.org and register for LSDAS, then click the application button and open up the app for the school you want. I have filled out 2 and the first probably took me an 2 hrs because of the research, the second one probably only 45 mins.

3) Check with the school if they will even accept a Feb LSAT. Most of the apps I have looked at had a box for future LSAT dates. So if you they will accept a Feb score you could just put that when you are taking it again and they will likely hold your app until that score comes in.

Will you critique my personal statement and diversity statement?

Lawsome

• View Profile
Re: A little Confused
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 07:22:59 PM »
1) Most of the personal statement prompts are similar (i.e. Give us information that hasn't been included somewhere else in your application to help with the admissions decision. You can talk about accomplishments, obstacles overcome, goals, etc.) For the most part, you can use the same PS and just tailor a section of it for whichever law school you are sending it to.

2) If you complete the 'Common Information' form on the LSAC site, it will speed up your application completion time ALOT!!! It asks for the standard information that every application asks for, and then when you open up a particular school's app, it will auto-complete that information. Each application takes me about 5-10 minutes because of it. But make sure to look over the info that was automatically entered, because some schools ask for a different format. (i.e. Some applications ask you to list jobs/schools attended in chronological order, whereas some ask you to list in reverse chronological....You don't want to appear as if you can't follow directions!)

Hope this helps!!!