Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any thoughts on Drexel?  (Read 740 times)

SavoyTruffleShuffle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Any thoughts on Drexel?
« on: December 24, 2008, 05:45:23 PM »
They're still not in the US News rankings and will be just graduating their first class in 2009. I applied there as a safety school and they're so far the first to get back to me with an acceptance (and scholarship). How long does a school have to be around before they get ranked?

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any thoughts on Drexel?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 07:09:12 PM »
I wouldn't worry about their ranking.  You should be concerned with job prospects.  You really won't be getting Biglaw in Philly and probably not even even most of the smaller firms due to the unknowness and lack of alumni.  If I were you, I'd try to get concrete info from Drexel on employment options like the DA's office or the Public Defender.  How many people got jobs there (if any), what were their qualifications/grades/etc, where are students working in general, etc.
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

SavoyTruffleShuffle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 12:47:23 AM »
I assume I'll be getting accepted to Temple and Villanova also, but do you really think people who take up Drexel on their offer are that thoroughly doomed?

Also, as I said, their first class has not yet graduated, so there are no employment statistics.

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 01:52:26 AM »
Doomed is a strong word.  They don't need to have graduated to have statistics.  The local gov't offices are already hiring, same with judges, PI orgs, etc.  But if we are talking about doomed for firm jobs yes, especially now that the bottom has fallen out of the Philly market.

I assume I'll be getting accepted to Temple and Villanova also, but do you really think people who take up Drexel on their offer are that thoroughly doomed?

Also, as I said, their first class has not yet graduated, so there are no employment statistics.
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 10:31:02 AM »

Drexel is a thoroughly bad choice for those who have Temple and Villanova as alternatives.  Keep in mind that Drexel's graduating class will be competing with a flood of people from Temple, Villanova, and Rutgers Camden.  And don't forget that graduates of Widener Delaware will be coming into Philadelphia as well.

Drexel Law has no reputation and no alumni network.  It's an extremely risky school for the cost in time and money.