Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bummed out  (Read 14504 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Bummed out
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2009, 09:30:03 AM »
^^^Bummer, I have an interview for a post-bar internship tomorrow. It is where I want to eventually work, so I figure that I can (1) see if I can get hired when they have an opening if I intern there (2) if it becomes clear that they are never hiring, get some experience while applying for other jobs. I think that is the best bet for most graduates right now that want to do public interest law and haven't had any luck in the market.

Good luck on the interview!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2009, 07:47:35 PM »
^^^ Thanks! I got the position. It is unpaid but it is where I want to work, so I will just have to figure out how to make due. Yay!

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »
^^^ Thanks! I got the position. It is unpaid but it is where I want to work, so I will just have to figure out how to make due. Yay!

Congrrats, do your best and hopefully it will all work out in the end!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2009, 02:47:49 AM »
Ugh, just found out two other students now don't have jobs here.  One was supposed to work on Wolf Block, the other I just didn't know about.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2009, 10:02:13 AM »
Ugh, just found out two other students now don't have jobs here.  One was supposed to work on Wolf Block, the other I just didn't know about.

Its tough out there no doubt, but I think its an important lesson for students to learn, especially in this trying times you need to be open to other avenues than the traditional ones for finding jobs, even at high ranked schools. Hiring entire classes of associates is not the model we are going to see for much longer. People need to branch out and they need to have backup plans in the works in case things fall through (not saying your classmates donít, just a general comment that we are in a different hiring mentality now and people MUST have as many options and strategies as they can to adjust to the changing times). 

Students graduating now have to be flexible and unfortunately, have to assume there is a chance their offers will dry up before they get there, so never stop exploring possibilities so you donít have to start over from scratch if something falls through. People need to be proactive throghot the process up until the day they start work (and even then  it helps to keep your ear out for other possablities just in case).

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2009, 11:14:41 AM »
Hiring entire classes of associates is not the model we are going to see for much longer.

I disagree, though I think it will become less common.

Though I agree with your points about people needing to become more proactive and resourceful, especially at the top schools.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2009, 11:15:03 PM »
Of course, no one can argue that students should try to be "more proactive and resourceful."  However, I do think that in certain circles (and within our career services office), there has been a blame-the-victim mentality that has led to my unemployed friends being treated poorly.  Some people have assumed that because they don't have jobs, they must have been snotty and only applied to V-100 firms.

I assure you, I have friends who have networked, followed up, practiced interviewing until they're blue in the face--and they still don't have jobs.  They have applied for EVERYTHING--small firms, public interest, government, non-legal... and there's nothing out there for people without experience.  As our economy continues to shed jobs, it just gets worse and worse.

I also agree it would be nice to have a backup plan, but it's hard enough to get ONE job at the moment!

I am officially a law school graduate : )

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2009, 09:53:58 AM »
Of course, no one can argue that students should try to be "more proactive and resourceful."  However, I do think that in certain circles (and within our career services office), there has been a blame-the-victim mentality that has led to my unemployed friends being treated poorly.  Some people have assumed that because they don't have jobs, they must have been snotty and only applied to V-100 firms.

I assure you, I have friends who have networked, followed up, practiced interviewing until they're blue in the face--and they still don't have jobs.  They have applied for EVERYTHING--small firms, public interest, government, non-legal... and there's nothing out there for people without experience.  As our economy continues to shed jobs, it just gets worse and worse.

I also agree it would be nice to have a backup plan, but it's hard enough to get ONE job at the moment!

I think the truth of the matter is that we got lulled into a false sense of security.

And there are actually people out there who say that being proactive and resourceful is a waste of time at our schools.  I think it's weird but it happens.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2009, 10:06:45 AM »

Jeez, tell me about it.  I talked to my OCS about not having a 1L summer job, and the counselor looked at me like I was a green-eyed monster.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2009, 11:01:31 AM »
I (stupidly) chose not to participate in OCI my 2L year

you dug your own grave; no pity