Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bummed out  (Read 14640 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bummed out
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 07:28:26 PM »
So now I'm top 8% (up from top 12%) and still can't get any interviews. Met with the office of career services today....basically the director told me the economy is so bad there is nothing...she said it was worse than 1992 for students, which apparently was also terrible. :(

And yet I bet they still gladly took your tuition payment.  Never trust anyone but your parents.

of course....and they raised it over $4000 from last year...

That's why law school is a bit scammy beyond the T10, IMO.  School administrators know that their graduates are so unlikely to find employment, yet charge them T14 prices, anyway.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2009, 10:25:01 PM »
That's why law school is a bit scammy beyond the T10, IMO.  School administrators know that their graduates are so unlikely to find employment, yet charge them T14 prices, anyway.

first you say T10, then you say T14.  MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!

Methinks he would be saying T6 if Chicago was still ranked as such in US News.

what if they were tied?  would it be the t10.5?
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2009, 03:01:32 AM »
The only reason T14 makes any sense to use as a term is because the same schools stay in it; they just jostle positions.  T10 has pretty low utility because schools are entering and exiting the top 10 on an annual basis. If Duke were #9 and Virginia moved to #11, would a UVA education be a little scammy? If Cornell broke the top 10 and Northwestern or Michigan were tied for 12 would they then be scammy? What if  everything went back to the 2008 rankings the next year? Would Northwestern or Michigan no longer be scammy?

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2009, 08:12:59 PM »

I don't know about that; up until this year, the top half of the class at my school didn't have much trouble getting decent jobs. There used to be plenty of job opportunities posted on the career services website too, but now there is like nothing.

I am just at a loss at what to do. I'm lucky to have had an almost free ride, so my loans are much less than most people I know, but I am scared and I know things aren't getting better any time soon.

Even networking has not really worked out for me.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »
State clerkships? Fellowships? Go back to school for a year to get another stupid degree (preferably on a substantial scholarship) to hide out from the market for awhile? Take the bar, pass, and then try the search? Hang out your own shingle? Offer to intern/work for free for a trial period?

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2009, 05:08:06 PM »
I know three 3Ls at my T10 that still don't have jobs, and one girl just had her offer flat out rescinded.  Nearly everyone has had start dates deferred. 

Our timing stinks, but on the bright side at least you don't have too many loans to worry about.  That alone makes you better off than most.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2009, 06:00:09 PM »
I know three 3Ls at my T10 that still don't have jobs, and one girl just had her offer flat out rescinded.  Nearly everyone has had start dates deferred. 

Our timing stinks, but on the bright side at least you don't have too many loans to worry about.  That alone makes you better off than most.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see even more firms out right rescinding offers to incoming 3Ls.  And as sucky as it is, there are first year associates who breathe a sigh of relief when their firms do it because there's now a glimmer of hope they won't get laid off to make room for incoming class of associates.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2009, 08:05:32 PM »
...one girl just had her offer flat out rescinded...

Can you give us some indication of the firm's market/ranking?

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2009, 08:13:28 PM »
...one girl just had her offer flat out rescinded...

Can you give us some indication of the firm's market/ranking?

Her offer was rescinded from a DA's office.   One of the other three worked at a DA's office over the summer too, but at the end of the summer they told him, "We like you, but we're on a hiring freeze."  He hasn't been able to find anything else.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2009, 04:02:34 AM »
^^^Bummer, I have an interview for a post-bar internship tomorrow. It is where I want to eventually work, so I figure that I can (1) see if I can get hired when they have an opening if I intern there (2) if it becomes clear that they are never hiring, get some experience while applying for other jobs. I think that is the best bet for most graduates right now that want to do public interest law and haven't had any luck in the market.