Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone Else Think Talking to Old Friends is Depressing?  (Read 2499 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Else Think Talking to Old Friends is Depressing?
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
I just talked to a good friend of mine from college.  He's currently applying to MFA programs.  I was amazed by how little we had in common.  No jokes, no common interests.  He didn't even want to hear about my law school.  When I tried to talk about anything in the past, it felt terrible.  I ended up asking him a few awkward questions about his current life and hanging up.

Times like these make you doubt the very foundations of friendship. What do we really have in common with another human being? 

Does anyone ever have similar experiences?

No! I'm out of high school 15 years now, and my closest friends from back then are still among my closest friends today. I had the good fortune of making more amazing friends in college and have stayed close with all of them as well. Our lives have taken us in very different directions literally, professionally, and personally but we've stayed tight.

The funny thing is that between college and law school (~ 7 years) I only made a handful of 'keeper' friends. A few from work, a few from grad school . . . but there were a lot more amazing people I genuinely felt close to and then failed to keep in touch with. I suspect the law school friends are here for the long haul.

My experience has been almost exactly the same! 

And happy new year, Jolie! :)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 11:58:32 AM »
I just talked to a good friend of mine from college.  He's currently applying to MFA programs.  I was amazed by how little we had in common.  No jokes, no common interests.  He didn't even want to hear about my law school.  When I tried to talk about anything in the past, it felt terrible.  I ended up asking him a few awkward questions about his current life and hanging up.

Times like these make you doubt the very foundations of friendship. What do we really have in common with another human being? 

Does anyone ever have similar experiences?

No! I'm out of high school 15 years now, and my closest friends from back then are still among my closest friends today. I had the good fortune of making more amazing friends in college and have stayed close with all of them as well. Our lives have taken us in very different directions literally, professionally, and personally but we've stayed tight.

The funny thing is that between college and law school (~ 7 years) I only made a handful of 'keeper' friends. A few from work, a few from grad school . . . but there were a lot more amazing people I genuinely felt close to and then failed to keep in touch with. I suspect the law school friends are here for the long haul.

My experience has been almost exactly the same! 

And happy new year, Jolie! :)

Happy new year, Miss P.!
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

tehstray

• I drink your milkshake
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 12:48:23 PM »
i find this to be true somewhat.  since i've moved around a lot as a child, most of my friends from middle school (who i'm hanging out with now atm) want to talk about other things than our little middle school escapades and they're so much different then what i am now.

now for high scool however, these friends of mine when we hang out it's like we never had any distance separated between any of us.  we just hang out and have a good time every time with no awkwardness.

i'm in college atm, and i have a few close friends and hopefully those friends won't fade away and i hope they're also these said "keeper" friends.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 09:34:36 PM »
You still talk to middle school friends?  That's quite impressive.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 12:14:44 AM »
You still talk to middle school friends?  That's quite impressive.

I spent New Year's with an elementary school friend, a middle school friend, and a high school friend (and our various partners and other newer folks).  I haven't lived in my home state for 18 years, but we're all still close.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.